Got a rear window visor! HELP

mdan9193

Mdan
Finally got one, found one on craigslist for $20 great condition. Anyhow it has no screws or anything, but the under side has tape on it. The guy said just use 3m double sided tape. Would that hold it firm? How would I take off the old tape so its clean? The roads here are not that great I don't want it to fly off when I am driving. Anyone have a diy or a detailed explanation on how to mount it properly? Thanks any help is appreciated!

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Gorilla glue that bastard on your car....just kidding. 3M makes some good products, try mounting something else to your rear window with 3m tape and see how well it holds. If it works good then put your visor on, if not well then atleast you saved the visor from flying off

ImaBeast

you can use a heat gun and you can peel it right off... and just apply 3m double sided tape where the tape use to be!

mdan9193

Mdan
Gorilla glue that bastard on your car....just kidding. 3M makes some good products, try mounting something else to your rear window with 3m tape and see how well it holds. If it works good then put your visor on, if not well then atleast you saved the visor from flying off
Mount what instead of the visor? I dont want some random thing taped up to the rear view mirror lol.

Can anyone with a rear visor tell me how well the 3m tape has held up so far? And how much tape you used? thanks!

JDMchristian991

derpin since '92
Yes,just 3m double sided tape is used to install them.I've had mine on with just tape for about 3 months now and it's yet to go anywhere.

DerekLS

I had one recently & used the double sided tape( 2 small strips for the sides and 1 longer one for center) and it was pretty stable, as far as removing the old tape i used a razor blade & that worked fine

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
Use 3m industrial tape. Found at lowes. Its made for automotive stuff. It can be pretty pricey $15-$30 a roll. Ill post a pic on the tape later(on my cell now) but it does the trick

As far as removing the existing tape use heat gun and razor blade and goo be gone to get excess tape off.

For install make sure window clean,use rubbing alchol to clean window and heat up on side of tape useig heat gun or blow dyer and instal press down for 30secs. PM if you have any questions.

mdan9193

Mdan
Appreciate all the help guys! Its sitting in my car right now and I'm at work so will probably clean it up tonight and get the tape off then install tomorrow morning. Industrial 3m? Isn't that the dark grey one?

mdan9193

Mdan
So i put up my rear window visor using heavy duty 3m double sided tape this morning. I put firm pressure on it and let it sit there for about 2 hours. I then took it to a car wash and they washed and when I got home I looked at it and it came loose. Water went under it and made the tape wet and the right side was basically loose. I took it off now taking the old tape off to try to remount it again. Any suggestions? I didn't know a car wash would losen up the tape? HELPPPP on anything else I should try or use. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Rich-PMS

Why would you wash it after only 2 hours?

I'd let it set for atleast 24-48hrs before letting it get wet

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
^ ATLEAST!

3M Industrial tape is thisCLICK

let it set for at least 24hr b4 washing your car, think of it like new paint, your not suppose to wax fresh paint for 3months.

mdan9193

Mdan
I was tempted not to wash the car after I put it on but the car was so dirty I caved in LOL.

The 3m tape I got from lowes says SCOTCH 3m tape and looks like the regular ones u see at autopart stores. It said super heavy duty resistance so I figured thats it. I"ll try either mounting it again tonight or tomorrow. I knew I should have gone with my gut instict and not wash it!