Got into my AEM EMS, questions.

Evul9

So i finally got a serial cable that woks on my AEM EMS Series 1 (30-1010)

I have been problems with the car running weird but i could not get into it, but i can finally now.

Can someone tell me anything from the ignition and fuel tables? I don't know if it has stock cams, pistons etc. Would like to know before I start buying parts...

Also is it possible to find out the fuel injector size from the AEM program?

I have a friend who knows hondata but he will not be able to have a look at it until late in the week.

Any other info besides that would be much appreciated. Thank you

[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Wow what a blast from the past. I had a 30-1010 unit back in 2004. I learned how to tune on it. I'm not a fan. The newer V2 hardware and software are much much better.

Youre not going to be able to reverse engineer hardware from the tuning aspect. Load up a basemap. If the engine RUNS OK with a map that is scaled for stock injectors then they are stock sized injectors. Anything larger and it would run very rich, all the time.

My best advice for you is to either take it to an AEM EMS tuner or start reading A LOT.

Evul9

Wow what a blast from the past. I had a 30-1010 unit back in 2004. I learned how to tune on it. I'm not a fan. The newer V2 hardware and software are much much better.

Youre not going to be able to reverse engineer hardware from the tuning aspect. Load up a basemap. If the engine RUNS OK with a map that is scaled for stock injectors then they are stock sized injectors. Anything larger and it would run very rich, all the time.

My best advice for you is to either take it to an AEM EMS tuner or start reading A LOT.
Thanks Muckman! Yeah i know it is quite old and that's one of the reasons i want to get either the S300 or Neptune RTP relatively soon. OK uploading the basemap of a stock one makes alot of sense. Could you help me out with a few things? I assume that one can "save" the current tune to their computer so i don't loose it, and then upload the stock basemap to test and then go back. How would one go about doing that. Lets just say i am a little scared of loosing the tune that's on there currently. Secondly I have been looking for an AEM basemap for some time now and I cant find one at all. Is there a database somewhere or is there an obvious source? I have checked the AEM forums etc. Thanks

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You really need to read the help file, it should explain the basics. Basically when you connect to the Ecu it has to download whatever calibration is on the EMS inorder to display it and allow you to edit it. At that point you can simply SAVE AS the calibration as a file on your PC and it will be saved.

The basemaps are IN the software. I dont have the new program in front of me but check under NEW calibration or something like that.

Support for the old v1 units has ended so you will have a hard time finding any documentation beyond what is included in the program's help file. Check the install directory for any PDFs too.

Evul9

You really need to read the help file, it should explain the basics. Basically when you connect to the Ecu it has to download whatever calibration is on the EMS inorder to display it and allow you to edit it. At that point you can simply SAVE AS the calibration as a file on your PC and it will be saved.

The basemaps are IN the software. I dont have the new program in front of me but check under NEW calibration or something like that.

Support for the old v1 units has ended so you will have a hard time finding any documentation beyond what is included in the program's help file. Check the install directory for any PDFs too.

Ok thanks! Will start reading up on it more once classes end in a few weeks. Using the EMS I think i figured out my 6 month long problem of the car running very rich, especially after being warmed up. Once the car gets warm, the ECT sensor goes from 170ish straight down to 32-21 degrees, immediately followed by the car running Very rich. Should I just go get a new ECT or are there some tests that could be done to rule out wiring etc.?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Yes absolutely. You have officially used your EMS to diagnose a bad sensor. Congrats.

Evul9

Yes absolutely. You have officially used your EMS to diagnose a bad sensor. Congrats.
Haha thanks. Hopefully that is the only thing that has the engine running badly. Going from 20-22MPG back to 30 would be great. My friend has been pushing me to buy a Hondata but I am glad I finally got a cable that actually worked so I can, for the time being atleast, have a look at what is going on. Once I get the Hondata/Neptune I will definitely teach myself and become well versed in everything as my friend can help me out and start me off. He tuned his high compression Frankenstein build from scratch so I think he is quite capable. Just need to get the money to buy the Hondata, and hoping the sale of the AEM EMS will give me a fair amount of the money back. Thanks again Muckman, I will report back with the results after I get it replaced, hopefully tomorrow.