grinding into reverse?

importtunerman

importtunerman
most of the time when i go to put my ls in reverse it grinds and i have to slam it in and it makes this loud gring/bang noise and i can feel it in the car. it does not do this in and other gears other then second but only does that when im in high rpm and shift fast....any suggestions?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
make sure your clutch adjustment is okay.... also make sure you are stopped and the clutch is all the way engaged.

There are no syncros for reverse or 1st gear, so for either of those you need to be completely stopped for it to go into gear without grinding or causing problems

on a side note, both of my DA's I've owned would grind a little when going into first. No huge bangs or crazy grinding noises, but they would alittle. Might just be part of the design causing it to do that

RD408

My DA grinds once in a while going into reverse and its a new clutch. :lol:

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
^im sure there are. search on here and on honda tech im sure youll find one eventually. thats whats so nice about cable clutches

RD408

So I searched over on G2IC and this is what I came up with.
Link
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196403&highlight=clutch+adjustment
1. Open the hood and look at the battery.
2. The cable adjuster is to the right and below the battery tray. It points upward. There is a plastic collar that you spin up or down to adjust. Its easily accessible.
3. Give it 2 turns then hop in the drivers seat to check the feel.

It may be easier if you have a buddy that is not an idiot or drunk help out under the hood while you check the pedal feel.

I would recommend doing this in an empty parking lot or non busy street. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get it perfect.

If you can't adjust it enough then you may have a stretched out cable. It happens a lot on older Honda's. I've replaced a few and its not incredibly difficult or expensive to replace yourself.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
If you double clutch it should fix that.

You mean yours doesn't have the 3rd gear synchro grind? Lucky.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I figured out a trick to avoid the reverse grind a couple months ago. If you go through a couple of the forward gears before you go in reverse, no grind! Works for me, anyway. My car used to grind in reverse almost every time.

And yea, new clutch won't fix a gear grind, lol.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I figured out a trick to avoid the reverse grind a couple months ago. If you go through a couple of the forward gears before you go in reverse, no grind! Works for me, anyway. My car used to grind in reverse almost every time.

And yea, new clutch won't fix a gear grind, lol.
actually, now that you say something, I do remember not being able to get into reverse a couple times, and putting it into first always helped for some, unknown reason. lol