grinding noise in reverse!

krisx13

Schweet.
hello, im pretty new to this site and was wondering if somebody could help me out. i recently bought my '90 LS and it seems to have some sort of shifting problem...going from park to reverse works all the time, but if i shift from drive/neutral etc up to reverse i hear a grinding noise. i noticed that if i let the idle go down a bit it can shift fine. any ideas?? any help is appreciated :)

Prozon

Kris
If it were a manual transmission I would suggest synchros in the transmission are going out.
However, it sounds to me like your saying you have an automatic transmission.

..in which case, clutches in it are going? I don't know much about auto transmissions, I would assume something inside of it is going that would require a rebuild.

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
I think the gear isn't engaged fully. Are you sure you're not hearing the usual sound a reverse gear makes? Because reverse gears are straight-cut.

stormnorman

if it were manual i suggest putting it in first gear first and then reverse. my reverse grinds whenever i start off in neutral but its fine when i put it in a gear first and then shift in to reverse.

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
The damn input shaft takes a long time to stop rotating. You can either shift into first (or even third) like stormnorman said, or you could give it about a a second before you shift.

iRockRetros23

My transmission does the same thing on my 91 ls (automatic also). A friend suggested draining the tranny fluid and putting new fluid in and getting lucas transmission fix and putting that in there so I'm gunna do that this weekend. Curious to know what the problem is tho. Worst case scenario, how much would a tranny rebuild cost ?

Prozon

Kris
Auto transmissions usually are quite expensive to be rebuilt. I'm not sure on the prices for these, you need to call local transmission shops for a price. However sometimes it's just better to get a junkyard transmission.

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
In response to the people talking about a manual trans reverse grind, it is because reverse does not have a syncro on our cars. I have owned a few other cars, 92 525i for example, that you could throw in reverse while rolling backwards because it DID have a syncro. Just sayin!