Grinding?? :(

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
ok guys so i recently noticed that somewhere in my tire wells something is grinding. first it was only the left side when i braked semi-hard. then i noticed earlier its both front sides now, and when i turn left it grinds too. any ideas??? i did replace the right front brake about 2 weeks ago, then the left one friday, might it be something with the brakes??? suggestions please?

jznsn2u

I know this is very basic but it is never the less very important, Check if you installed everything the right way?

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
I know this is very basic but it is never the less very important, Check if you installed everything the right way?
im pretty sure everything was right, i put everything back on in the reverse order i took them off lol. not rocket science. i was thinking maybe the brakes just need to wear in a little?

bearing too
what about the bearing?

jznsn2u

do you feel your car vibrate when you start to brake along with the grinding? maybe you might have warped rotors? steal your twin's brake system :p

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
do you feel your car vibrate when you start to brake along with the grinding? maybe you might have warped rotors? steal your twin's brake system :p
lol it needs new brakes too. and idk i dont really feel anything i just hear it. and its not all the time. sometimes. you know how like in the movies where ships sink (i.e titanic) when your underwater and the boat 'moves' and it grinds or make a weird growling niose?? thats exactly what it sounds like :roll: lol

jznsn2u

lol it needs new brakes too. and idk i dont really feel anything i just hear it. and its not all the time. sometimes. you know how like in the movies where ships sink (i.e titanic) when your underwater and the boat 'moves' and it grinds or make a weird growling niose?? thats exactly what it sounds like :roll: lol
hahahaha omg that was the best descriptive explanation. :) Broken axel boot. Check the boot to see if anything is torn. I had the saaamme problem before.

Last edited:

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
hahahaha omg that was the best descriptive explanation. :) Broken axel boot. Check the boot to see if anything is torn. I had the saaamme problem before.
lmao thanks :lol: wasnt sure if youd get that or not. so is it hard to fix or expensive? would it be reasonable to just get it from a junk yard for now or better off buying new ones?

jznsn2u

lmao thanks :lol: wasnt sure if youd get that or not. so is it hard to fix or expensive? would it be reasonable to just get it from a junk yard for now or better off buying new ones?
$60 -80@ kragen for a rebuilt axle (driver side axle +half shaft) + life time warranty. installation time - 2 hours @ the most. Difficulty rating 1-10, 6 because the half shaft was stubborn. Passenger side (axle)- 4, very easy.
tools - x bar/ jack/axle nut/ hammer/ socket wrenches/ 2tones for safety. sorry if im broad my laptop bat is gonna die soon xD

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
$60 -80@ kragen for a rebuilt axle (driver side axle +half shaft) + life time warranty. installation time - 2 hours @ the most. Difficulty rating 1-10, 6 because the half shaft was stubborn. Passenger side (axle)- 4, very easy.
tools - x bar/ jack/axle nut/ hammer/ socket wrenches/ 2tones for safety. sorry if im broad my laptop bat is gonna die soon xD
oh thats not too bad ill have to search around see what i can find around here :) thanks!

corvette_88

If it's just the boot, you can get a kit that has two halfs and you just cut the old off, clean off the grease, put new grease in and put the boot on. Iit's harder than it sounds, but that's about it. $21 should get you that at Advance Auto.

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
If it's just the boot, you can get a kit that has two halfs and you just cut the old off, clean off the grease, put new grease in and put the boot on. Iit's harder than it sounds, but that's about it. $21 should get you that at Advance Auto.
you know im thinking it IS the axle boot, cuz i noticed when doing the brakes that there was something i could move that didnt look like it should have been able to move... looked like a suction cup on the axle/wheel meet. im guess thats the axle boot?

sorry im horrible with technicalities lol

jznsn2u

you know im thinking it IS the axle boot, cuz i noticed when doing the brakes that there was something i could move that didnt look like it should have been able to move... looked like a suction cup on the axle/wheel meet. im guess thats the axle boot?

sorry im horrible with technicalities lol
yuuppp it looks like this, anguisette - (driver side)

btw @ if you buy a rebuilt one you have to trade in your broken axle's. Rebuilt > New. Cheaper, same quality, same lifetime warranty. Soo you buy the axle, install then take the broken axles back :) good luck with the fix!

Axles - driver side on the right, passenger on the left. (driver side has the half shaft, passenger doesnt)

Last edited: