GS-R Exhaust Question

dgaplin

I buddy gave me a DC Sports 4-2-1 header and cat for a 94-99 GS-R. I have a '00 GS-R. I would need to buy a 94-99 catback (looking at Yonaka) to make this work without cutting or welding, correct? Is the O2 sensor gonna work correctly or throw a CEL since it'll be place in the cat and not the header? Will the hangers line up? Also, are there performance differences between running a 94-99 vs. a 00-01 set-up?

ssbpdc2R

dont waste your time.... sell it and buy a different header. Not worth the time or labor doing that.

Kyle

I don't really see the problem with that he has. He has the correct cat and header, just needs the right exhaust. It should fit up just perfectly.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
If the cat and header are both 94-99 then you will need a catback for 94-99 as well. Bolt up affair, no problems with where you plug in the sensor unless you plug them into the wrong place. No performance differences either. If either piece is mismatched year wise then youre lengths will be fumbled a bit but any shop can adjust length on b pipes. You can also go custom route on the b pipe too. For further reassurance, i have a 99 gsr, my current setup matches everything else besides 94-99 gsr (94-01 non vtecs, itr and 00-01 gsr) and its all bolted up fine.

dgaplin

Ok, since I got the 94-99 header and cat for nothing then I just buy a 94-99 cat back. I was planning on getting an exhaust anyway since mine is still stock. Can anyone confirm that the hangers will match up? I want plug and play - no cutting or welding.

Cripton805

Mmmm. Everything can remain the same... except the header will be shorter and wont reach. All you do is have a shop make you a test pipe and install the header for you if you wouldnt mind running it. "Fixed"

You wouldnt have to cut anything. Just making a custom part for a delete.
You can keep everything past yout catalytic converter.

Cripton805

Edit: Why do you want a catback? Just get a good universal exhaust that isnt a fart can and get it welded on.

Im running custom piping. Its not that expensive. I paid $280 to install everything from the header to exhaust with custom piping. It was a more expensive shop too. Another quoted me to $150, but they were pussies about taking off my cat for CA legal reasons.

I cant see a shop more than $120 to weld an exhaust.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Ok, since I got the 94-99 header and cat for nothing then I just buy a 94-99 cat back. I was planning on getting an exhaust anyway since mine is still stock. Can anyone confirm that the hangers will match up? I want plug and play - no cutting or welding.
Yes, if you buy a 94-99 catback, it will bolt right up. The other option is to add about A 4.25" extension between the cat and b-pipe, since the GSR header and cat are shorter.

Cripton805

Yes, if you buy a 94-99 catback, it will bolt right up. The other option is to add about A 4.25" extension between the cat and b-pipe, since the GSR header and cat are shorter.
They are a s*** load more expensive for the same exhaust that can be welded. Youre right about the extension if hes willing.

njhustler

I'm not sure if youve got tough emissions out there , but if you dont they sell test pipes that are telescopic and will pretty much fit anything.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
^go for his ws2... i hear people love them for subtlety considering its louder then stock.

Why would he need to get ANYTHING welded on? I already said everything is bolt up as long as he gets parts for 94-99. Sounded to me like he wanted to upgrade his stock exhaust to something aftermarket and avoid chopping/welding anything but is an option to use his new parts on his oem. But he can use the cat and just have the oem b pipe extended.

The better question is what size collector, cat and flanges are they? If theyre stock 2" then you get the same size in anything aftermarket or custom that you want. Gains minimal. If they are 2.25" (doubting 2.3/2.5 but you have to fill us in on that) then you want the same size for the rest of the catback as well.

Hangers will be fine. I have a 00-01 setup on my 99.

dgaplin

Right Nemesis, i'm looking to upgrade the catback anyway and not cut and weld. I've been thinking about the Yonaka WS2 replica but may look into a used Apexi WS2. The DC header that I have was a ceramic that I had welded (had a small crack). Then I sanded, primed and painted using Rustoleum header primer and paint good up to 2,000 degrees. So, a 2' out. The cat is stock 94-99.

Kyle

Another option to the WS2 are both the GReddy SP2 and the Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Both are oval styles and are the same price roughly of the WS2. I have heard the WS2 and I think it's just too quite. I've also heard the SP2 in person and it just sounds badass. Very deep. People have ran the Yonaka and like it and I too was considering it but I didn't like the construction of it. It looks cheap. Rather buy a quality piece that I know will last. Shop Craigslist.