GSR crank girdle on a LS

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
can i bolt up my Gsr crank girdle straight to my Ls block, i have all the crank cap for both blocks?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Don't think so, the caps won't line up. Also the ls bearings are different then the gsr bearings.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
when i was doing my build the caps lined up but did the plastic gauge and it was just a line out of spec. but not by much. what would happen if there is to much space in between the bearings and the crank?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Not really, it depends how much space your talking about. I run very loose clearances. The max honda reccoemends is .002. Some builders recommend tighter tolerances, I think that's a good way to spin a bearing. It has been proven numerous times that a looser motor will free up hp. Anyway, plastic gauge is shit, make sure your not over .002 on all the journals. I still think that there is some machining needed to fit the gsr girdle but I may be wrong.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
thanks for the info. im just going to see if the clearance is there but if not its time to hit the machine shop.

tilegend

Don't think so, the caps won't line up. Also the ls bearings are different then the gsr bearings.
MAIN bearings are the same for b-series. (B16, B18, B20)

anyhow... to use the GSR girdle you either need to machine the LS main caps (mill them down to the same height, and drill them out for dowels), or use the GSR's main cap.

you'll also need the GSR #2, #3, #4 main studs as the LS is too short.

oil pickup, windage tray, and oil pan is also needed.

after all that you will need to get the block a line hone/bore.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
Just got done checking the clearance with plasti gauge and there all with in spec #2 is at .0015in #3 is the same and #4 is at .001in so im going to mount it. i have all the stuff left over from my gsr block that im going to use. ill let you guys know how it turns out. thanks.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I'm pretty sure the b18c main bearings are different then the b16,b18a/B, and b20 bearings. And to the OP, I really wouldn't trust plasti-guage. Go take your block to a machine shop and have it line honed or else your taking a big chance at either spinning a bearing or having premature failure.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
well its in so ill see. already sent the block to a machine shop for all that the Ls Vtec is in the car and going strong just wanted to add some extra support to the bottom end. like i said its all seems to be within spec so im going to run with it. if it blows time to build a bigger and better motor probable a gsr turbo or something.

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"