GSR feels underpower and weak

NiceGuy

Hello everyone,

Recently my 1994 gsr is acting pretty weird, which worries me that there might be something wrong with it. Couple weeks ago, I had my cat changed for my aircare because the emission was too high, and the cat was Magnaflow 22637 Direct Fit. But after I have it on, the car feels abit different, the mechanic who changed the cat for me told me that the previous shop had the timing belt set a couple tooth off, so he changed everything for me. and thats how i passed my aircared

After everything was done, i feel like the car is abit weaker, it doesnt accelerate as fast as it used to be, and feels under power while going uphill, and when ever i am accelerating the car in 3, 4, and 5th gears, i feel like the engine is working very hard and i have this feel where my car lunges back and forth(not a huge noticeable one but u can feel aliitle bit) from 2500rpm to 3500rpm. But this only happens after when the car gets really warmed up. When I first started the car, it feels fine, and normal, no lunges whats so ever, but after a while, my car will started to repeat what i was saying earlier.

My questions are:
Is it the new cat that is causing the problem?
or maybe there are other factors that are causing such problem?

I am still a newbie, dont really know much about cars yet, but was hoping to learn more from peoples from the forum! help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :D

twenty_four_SX

LoL... that sounds familiar. my brother teg was doing something like that too. double check your timing. you might still be off time.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
My initial thought was similar, that they didnt check timing after making the correction but that would be super fail and you should notice it right away. The symptoms actually sound more familiar of distributor problems. When is the last time you replaced your cap and rotor?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Double check the timing marks yourself or do a compression test. Lets make sure Mr mechanic didnt F up your tbelt.

NiceGuy

It was probably awhile ago, things I changed in between now and last year were cat, timing belt, and water pump. i got the car one year ago.

I will double check to see if the timing is right or not, lool. Hope they are in the right position and maybe i will look into the distributor to see if they need replace or not.

haha i want to add a turbo but the mileage is pretty high on the engine, i dont wanna add more stress to it xD

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
If it was noticeable immediately after the mechanic messed with it, yes double check all the work. Odds are they screwed something up. The alternative is that they set it straight and something else was out of wack. lol If everything checks out then it sounds ignition related which again i would start with some basic maintenance. If the 'hesitation' issue didnt start right away after the mechanic work then it could just be coincidental timing.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
My friend just bought a DC4 with the same symptoms and same story from the guys he bough it from. Turns out the exhaust cam was off by a tooth. We fixed it and re-timed the dizzy and it runs much, much better.

twenty_four_SX

My friend just bought a DC4 with the same symptoms and same story from the guys he bough it from. Turns out the exhaust cam was off by a tooth. We fixed it and re-timed the dizzy and it runs much, much better.
see what i mean, this guy is smart and double check the timing. high five to you BigMac. so now go check your timing NiceGuy. LoL...