GSR head vs B16 head

jdm jon

ok, with a odb2 GSR motor (stock block).......someone is willing to trade me my GSR head for an odb2 b16 head........

if i were to mount the stock b16 head on a stock GSR block.....what will be the outcome???

and yes i plan on eventually upgrading pistons, headgasket, cams, valve, ret. ect.

jdm jon

poormans are built.....i have a b16 tranny so....i mean it would make sense......the head came off a boosted ITR block that got blown with a fried turbo.....

dude says its a simple swap......what u guys think?

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
well from what ive been told, the b16 head flows better than the gsr head and is the closest to the type r head.....and yes you would have a poormans type r which i hear arent that bad at all. I wonder how much your cr would raise if at all???

jdm jon

ive heard it acually Lowers the compression with a stock headgasket (but barely noticable) without high comp pistons (ITR, CTR, ect.)......Mugen makes a 2ply headgasket that raises it back up a tad....

im just debating about the history of this b16 head.....i mean what if it has a bad valve tap.....can i tell by looking at it ?????

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The B16 head does flow better than the P72. It will reduce your compression ratio if just bolted on due to the GSR head having a smaller combustion chamber. The B16 head is the same head design as the ITR minus the port work.

I honestly wouldn't bother trading. Especially if you plan on getting cams, valves, retainers...etc down the road. I would just save some money and buy a bare B16 head and start building it on the side and swap them when you're ready. You could always just sell your GSR head to recoup some of the money later on down the road when you're done

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
if the motor blew like you stated, depending on his definition of "blew up" i would assume, something had to had happened to that head, so I wouldnt do it unless he is giving some cash on his end maybe....

g3teg97

Super Moderator
The B16 head does flow better than the P72. It will reduce your compression ratio if just bolted on due to the GSR head having a smaller combustion chamber. The B16 head is the same head design as the ITR minus the port work.
That's the only benefit.

Why not just get port work done on the GSR.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
the other thing is that the GSR head has quench pads on the head that help with detonation...thats y you see a lot of people with high comp. all motor engine have a GSR head...

jdm jon

I honestly wouldn't bother trading. Especially if you plan on getting cams, valves, retainers...etc down the road. I would just save some money and buy a bare B16 head and start building it on the side and swap them when you're ready. You could always just sell your GSR head to recoup some of the money later on down the road when you're done
true....with a b16 head i think id like to try buddyclub spec2 cams....as well as BC valves and ret, that mugen head gasket, ITR pistons, and a good tune........and port n polish?

or boost...:roll:

Last edited: