GSR ..Oil Problems?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I recently had timing belt/water pump etc done on my 99 GSR. Shortly after swapping a new valve cover on it, I had a misfire problem, and then a week ago when driving, the oil light came on and started to constant flash, not erraticaly, but a constant flash. I checked the oil, and the level was fine. The enxt day turning on, it was fine until about 20 minutes into the drive when it started again. Whenever the RPMS dropped/was in neutral, it stalled. It started right back up, but wanted to stall after warming up enough and the light came on then. I took it to a mechanic since I had no time because of work. He says that somethings wrong with the vtec solenoid, the oil screen mesh or something and that's the cause. Does this make sense or could it be something else?

Alvi84

If your vtec sylenoid or vtec housing filter/screen was clogged/not working properly your car shouldn't stall. I had a clogged VTEC housing unit filter before and the only problem I had is the car wouldn't engage vtec or if it did it would only stay in vtec for a second or two and throw the CEL (22).

It is extremely easy to check the vtec housing unit filter. Three bolts and take it off and look at the filter to see if it has particles blocking the flow of oil. If its clogged, it can only be purchased from the dealer but you can use a compressor to blow out the junk and clean it up yourself.

Last edited:

Alvi84

There is a pressure sensor that will keep VTEC from engaging, not sure if it triggers to light too. There is a screen between the solenoid and the head to catch dirt and it will get clogged up over time, it's fairly easy to replace.

Looks like this - http://autoparts.findyourauto.net/OEM-Honda-D16Z6-B18C1-B16A2-B18C5-VTEC-Solenoid-Gasket-ZZc-6763-ZZi-380265902610.aspx
In my experience, when I was throwing the CEL code 22 for vtec pressure valve it did NOT make my oil light come on.

Alvi84

Would that cause the flashing oil light you think?
A flashing oil light usally means low oil pressure. If the oil pressure drops below a set point the light will contiune to flash even if the pressure rises back up to normal until you resart the car.

Last edited:

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
A flashing oil light usally means low oil pressure. If the oil pressure drops below a set point the light will contiune to flash even if the pressure rises back up to normal until you resart the car.
So solenoid or mesh..or oil pump?

Alvi84

Could be a ton of different things. Even a spun main bearing or rod bearing can cause a blockage of the oil and cause the low oil pressure. How many miles is on the car? Any light knocking or ticking sounds when you start up the car? Noticed any power loss lately? When is the last time you changed oil (sometimes some really old dirty oil will be so thinned out that it doesn't generate enough oil pressure)

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Could be a ton of different things. Even a spun main bearing or rod bearing can cause a blockage of the oil and cause the low oil pressure. How many miles is on the car? Any light knocking or ticking sounds when you start up the car? Noticed any power loss lately? When is the last time you changed oil (sometimes some really old dirty oil will be so thinned out that it doesn't generate enough oil pressure)
Oil was like 1k ago..did timing etc at the same time. No real power loss or ticking noises, only when the rpms drop real low. 118k miles