GT3076 Turbo Rebuild...Question

DroolinBuddie

Hey, I been turbo'd with a GT3076 for awhile now, and recently I didn't know I had an Oil leak, (Valve cover gasket went to shit)

As i was changing that, I decided to check my Turbo, and it had some oil on the compressor side....Kinda freaked me out, I did not notice it at all, Car drives fine, Boost is normal, But I'm afraid I need a rebuild maybe?...

I've rebuilt little T3/t4's before, But never anything else....And i can't seem to find a GT30 Rebuild...Is the GT28 Kit Compatible? .... Also I believe mines a thrust bearing...It doesn't seem to be a ball bearing one sadly...

Gonna upgrade to a 360 Thrust i guess, Any Idea's on what Kit is compatible?...And I can';t really send it to Garrett or whatever.... It's my only car, daily driven, I need to fix it in a day, and i rather do it myself...

I've searched and Only seen threads that ask "Should i toobo me LS?"..."Blah blah blah"

Muckman

Not a M0derator
What do you mean its doesn't seem to be a ball bearing one? Is it a 3076 or not.? Check the Garrett part number on the CHRA.

There's no rebuild kit for GT-R turbos.

DroolinBuddie

oh ... wow, WHen i was spinning it by hand it felt like a thrust bearing one... I guess it's gone to shit?... and I didn't think about doing that.... If theres no rebuild kit for it...There's no other way but to send it into get it serviced???....

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
In the world of genuine Garrett turbos, the R suffix distinguishes the ball bearing CHRA. So a GT3076R is a ball bearing turbo where a GT3076 wouldn't be. That being said, I don't think Garrett ever made a journal bearing variant of the 3076. Unless of course it's not a genuine Garrett turbo, in which case all bets are off.

DroolinBuddie

yeah i have a restrictor on it, and i found the problem... Loose clamp on the Feed line =__=..... Must've forgot to tighten last time I messed with my turbo ....Sigh...Fail....

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You know you can get a -4 braided line for like $15, to protect your $1200 turbo.