"Half Clutch" question.

hen92

Sometimes I don't press the clutch all the way to the floor and change gears. Is it bad for the car in anyway? It seems smoother that way. Thanks much!

acclude

cheap bastard
Believe it or not, but you can actually change gears without using the clutch at all. It can be bad for the transmission if not done right but it can be done. You have to find the "sweet spot" where the synchros will let you change gears without the clutch (usually around 2500-3000RPM and with no load on the engine/trans). As for what you're asking, it's perfectly fine. Half-way is about right for the engagement point.

injen51

my clutch grabs an inch off the top, i hope its not going bad:???:

Last edited:

injen51

as your clutch wears it will get higher, but u can adjust the pushrod.
how and where can i adjust the push rod, can i adjust it enough do it grabs right off the floor? without harm

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
how and where can i adjust the push rod, can i adjust it enough do it grabs right off the floor? without harm
You can adjust it to just about anywhere you want. You will not want it at the floor though because it will make it hard to shift due to the clutch barely disengaging

To adjust it further down, turn the rod on the master cylinder that connects to the clutch pedal clockwise

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Believe it or not, but you can actually change gears without using the clutch at all. It can be bad for the transmission if not done right but it can be done. You have to find the "sweet spot" where the synchros will let you change gears without the clutch (usually around 2500-3000RPM and with no load on the engine/trans). As for what you're asking, it's perfectly fine. Half-way is about right for the engagement point.
A couple of my buddy's have tryed that several times. I'm smart enough to not try. :lol:

dc2b18

Wait... What?
It's not always bad for it but it is bad to leave it half engaged. I would push it to the floor just to make sure though.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
A lot of people do WOT shifting..... I know a couple guys that do that. They don't really leave it WOT though, they let off a little bit to like 50%,

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A couple of my buddy's have tryed that several times. I'm smart enough to not try. :lol:
It's fine as long as you can do perfect rev matching of the input and output shafts. When the synchro teeth are spinning at identical speeds as their receptor holes, they just slide right together
WOT shifting :nono:
I wouldn't do it on a stock car. It's perfectly alright if you have the proper tuning system. DSMLink has a brilliant no lift shift feature that I use on my GSX every now and then.