hard time picking the right oil

CheddaC

so i have a 95 gsr with 112000 miles and i was thinking about using castrol gtx high milage. what do u guys think is it any good? and i want to use k&n oil filter. i kno i can search the forum but i tried cant find a good answer. what oil do u guys use? btw i live in new england so its hot in summer and feazing in winter

Squigget

royal purple is good. mobil 1synthetic is good. my last oil change i used a K&N filter and castrol edge with syntec and it works fine for me.

lokibear

I usually use Mobil 1 and k&n filter but next time I'm gonna use royal purple to change things up.

)-Honey Badger Status-(

XjoEnX

Mobil1 is good stuff. Check your local Autozone. They have a special like every other month for Mobil1 + a Mobil1 filter for $35 in my area. Great deal.

mjones73

Stick to whatever oil you're using. There was just another thread about this, a few people stated switching from Royal Purple can start some leaks, not sure why. Something to look into.

CheddaC

I bought 10w-30 royal Purple and royal purple filter 40 bucks for 5 qs and filter. At pep boys

atomic_peach

Do not switch off of royal purple as the new oil will react with it, creating an acidic solution that will eat at your head gasket and other seals. Stay with one brand of oil. I personally use Mobil1 Extended Performance with a Bosch filter. I used K&N before with no problems but after reading the article below, I switched to Bosch.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

In short, K&N is the same as Mobil1 but with the nut but both are a little overpriced. Bosch has more filter material and a larger capacity and is cheaper.

mjones73

Do not switch off of royal purple as the new oil will react with it, creating an acidic solution that will eat at your head gasket and other seals. Stay with one brand of oil. I personally use Mobil1 Extended Performance with a Bosch filter. I used K&N before with no problems but after reading the article below, I switched to Bosch.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

In short, K&N is the same as Mobil1 but with the nut but both are a little overpriced. Bosch has more filter material and a larger capacity and is cheaper.
Now you're confusing me since that article states Bosch filters are really just Purolator. :)

atomic_peach

All the filters are made by only a handful of companies. Bosch is now a Purolator and K&N/Mobil1 is just a Champion Labs filter. I just used the article to weed out the crappy ones. If you head over to the Opinions section, they list the good and bad.

Jay417

Beast From The East
I use MOBIL 1 5w30. I also live in New England and it has worked fine. Why r u using 10w30? Ur motor uses 5w30 so why use anything else.