harness bar tubing

David.95LS

Delwarian
Whats the best tubing size and quality to use for a harness bar? Im designing my own for my CAD credit, using AutoDesk Inventor, and then im gonna make it in my welding shop, ill have screenshots of it and pics up while im making it, but i want some opinions on the best steel to use.

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Samurai blue is right. its not just normal steel. Some sort of aircraft aluminum. Light, yet strong. Look for specs. the tubing in my friend's track cobra was 2.5". It was a NASA approved cage. Thats the thing if you make your own, idk if it can be approved for official track use. They always do track inspections at those big time lap battle compititions, soometimes by NASA.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
idk look at what sparco uses i think its like aircraft grade aluminum
Most companies use a high grade steel with about an 1/8" wall...(.120" I think, to be exact)

Last edited:

David.95LS

Delwarian
Most companies use a high grade steel with about an 1/8" wall...(.120" I think, to be exact)
1/8" wall would be .125 to be exact :lol: but anyway i have been looking at metals now and havent made a decision about it yet but anyway, i have a screenshot of Inventor but i only know how to save it as a microsoft word file but ill try to upload it when i get home from school later on tonight

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
quoted from sparco USA

Sparco harness bars are manufactured with the highest quality .120-wall steel and designed specifically for our competition 3" harnesses. They are MIG welded by our highly skilled technicians, and engineered to strict safety standards.

David.95LS

Delwarian
well i got the screen shot uploaded (took about an hour to figure it out lol) but anyway thanks for quoting that. i couldnt get on sparcousa from school and it freezes my computer. but i was jk about the .125 cause thats exact 1/8" but anyway heres what i got done today, hopefully tomorrow i can finish it so i can test the strength on the computer, and get all the metal i need this weekend, but here ya go, ill have more pics up monday of the real work

David.95LS

Delwarian
thanks man lol, but yeah ive been doing it for four years now, im my teachers aid for the class now and im getting CAD certified on the 26th and then hopefully certified for the AutoDesk inventor programs in march, but i have a milling machine and a lathe too so after high school i wanna start making some custom mounts and stuff on the side for some extra pocket cash

1stgsr

Grocery Getter
KUDOS+++++ MAN!!!!!! Good luck it looks like you have yourself a pretty good design :thumbs up
Keep the pis flowing

David.95LS

Delwarian
Wich cad version ur using? Been working with cad for 17 years.

we have AutoDesk AutoCAD 2010, AutoDesk Revit, Autodesk Inventor pro, and a bunch more. we got the package at my school from a University of Delaware grant because we kick ass in TSA (technology students of America) lol but yeah i been in welding for 4 years now, and im going on 3 years of business, so hopefully after college i can open up my own shop but with the economy how it is im looking for a job using cad and do some custom stuff on the side.