Hatch trunk does not lock??

zeroG

I just picked up a 98 2-dr hatch. But it has a problem where the hatch trunk doesn't lock. It opens and closes fine with the release lever and everything. However It doesn't lock itself either manually with the key, or through the power locks. I've searched around the forum but the common questions are all about the power lock actuator. I haven't found any threads talking about the hatch not locking at all. I'm going to be taking the actuator assembly off tomorrow to see if I can find out the problem. This is my first integra so i'm not familiar with the locking mechanism they might use, so I was hoping someone can let me know if there's anything specific I should look for to save me some time? Thanks in advance

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
there is a rod that needs to be connected. There should be one floating around inside the walls of the trunk so it should be easy to find. Connect that and you should me goods to go.

zeroG

there is a rod that needs to be connected. There should be one floating around inside the walls of the trunk so it should be easy to find. Connect that and you should me goods to go.
I took everything apart it wasn't that. Everything is connected and functioning properly from what I tested.

The problem seems to be that the trunk actuator thinks the car is always unlocked, so no matter what the trunk opens when I use the lever.

In the mean time the only thing I could do was disconnect the actuator, This way the trunk lever doesn't work, but at least I can open and close and lock it with the key manually.

Last edited:

kerosenedan

zeroG - did you ever solve this problem?

I'm facing a similar problem on my 01 integra. This is my 3rd integra, so I've see a lot of different problems, but this is brand new...

Not only will the trunk not lock - it won't even latch. By that I mean the trunk close, but if someone were to simply lift on the spoiler the entire trunk would open...and there's no simple fix, it seems.

Has anyone else seen this problem or found a solution to it?

summerst

Trunk wont Lock -- Could it be the door lock control unit?

I took everything apart it wasn't that. Everything is connected and functioning properly from what I tested.

The problem seems to be that the trunk actuator thinks the car is always unlocked, so no matter what the trunk opens when I use the lever.

In the mean time the only thing I could do was disconnect the actuator, This way the trunk lever doesn't work, but at least I can open and close and lock it with the key manually.
I have replaced the Acura 74840-ST7-A01 Tailgate Actuator Assembly ($70) and the 74810-ST7-A01 Switch Assembly -- tailgate opener ($59) and still no luck. To lock the hatch right now, I must disconnect the tailgate switch assembly. Fortunately, it opens fine with the key. It looks like the problem could be a broken wire or the DOOR LOCK MODULE COMPUTER RK-0278. I ordered a used one off eBay and will be trying it in the next couple of days to see if that is the problem. I believe that the computer module is in the driver side door. If anyone can confirm that, that would be great.
I hijacked this old thread as the OP had exactly the same problem I am experiencing. I will post the results of my "chase" to find a cure but I only have a few days as my son is taking the car to school next Saturday and I may not have the answer by then. I believe that I am on the right track with the door lock module computer. Hopefully that will solve the issue. If anyone needs a brand new switch assembly or my old tailgate actuator assembly (I am leaving the new one in place), let me know. The only part I have not replaced is the key assembly and I have not done that as the key works fine (unlocks and locks the doors and pops the hatch).
Your thoughts and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.

phatintegra

Banned
You know it's tied in with your power locks. The power lock actuator is controlled with the power lock button and on the driver side key lock if you hold the key to one side for a second it should lock and unlock all the doors and the hatch.

The first thing I would do is check to see if the power lock button will lock the hatch. 2nd thing I would do is check to see if the hatch hinge is lined up correctly. Then report back.

summerst

You know it's tied in with your power locks. The power lock actuator is controlled with the power lock button and on the driver side key lock if you hold the key to one side for a second it should lock and unlock all the doors and the hatch.

The first thing I would do is check to see if the power lock button will lock the hatch. 2nd thing I would do is check to see if the hatch hinge is lined up correctly. Then report back.
The power lock button on the ds door will not lock the hatch. Hinge appears to be lined up correctly. I just replaced the control module (located in the driver's side door) and the problem persists. Right now, I am down to either a broken wire or the lock in the trunk is bad as I have replaced everything else!

I can lock and unlock the car doors from the trunk lock and open the hatch from the lock as well. Seems that keyed hatch lock is doing everything its supposed to do. I am stumped!

summerst

If that's the case you need to use a test light and starting testing the wires to see if your getting power.
My mechanic checked it out and found that the electric motor in the tailgate lock assembly (part Number 74800-ST7-A02) was not working. That assembly is a $200 part (a lot of money but at least the part is still available). I decided to order it even though the car is 200 miles away (my son has it at school). Before he took the car, I pulled the plastic cover off the inside of the hatch and disconnected the wire to the hatch handle. That allows the car to be locked (including the hatch). In this temporary condition -- you can open the hatch with the key by turning it hard to the right and lifting up on the hatch.
I will report back once I get to install the part but it could be another month or so.