head problems after timing belt break

sps21112

Hey guys i have a 95 ls and i recently bent a couple valves when my timing belt slipped. I bought a head and had it resurfaced and all new valve guides. Do i have to replace the headstuds even though it wasnt overheated or anything?

lee__xiong

if your going by the book your suppose to buy new headstuds i would replace your headstuds! headstuds are not good to reuse even though people do

mirrorimg

Hey guys i have a 95 ls and i recently bent a couple valves when my timing belt slipped. I bought a head and had it resurfaced and all new valve guides. Do i have to replace the headstuds even though it wasnt overheated or anything?
YES!
if your going by the book your suppose to buy new headstuds i would replace your headstuds! headstuds are not good to reuse even though people do
YES!

The headstuds are TTY (Torque To Yield)

Once they are torqued once, they are DONE. They stretch during their initial torquing and do not return to their original state after being removed. This is why they must be replaced after being used. They will not (or should not, as people do regularly reuse them) create the correct bond/seal with the block and head and have a good chance of causing the headgasket to leak. You can try, but if it doesnt work, thats another headgasket you need to replace (the headgaskets are also not reusable).

You can buy ARP headstuds (for a little more than OEM head studs) and reuse them over and over, as they are not torque to yeild. If you ever need to replace the head gasket, or plan on building the engine and therefore taking it apart later, I suggest buying these.

sps21112

Thanks i actually couldnt find oem headstuds cause we dont have a honda or acura with in 50 miles. So ill look forthe arps even though i wont have this engine for long K swap ftw!