headlight help PLEASE!!!

pbteg11

pbteg11
Alright so my headlights at one point were super crispy clean like a day after i redid them...but then water started getting in there and i could never get them to sit there and dry out so today i finally just took the whole headlight assembly out and i was wondering how to get like the clear cover off, it seems like there are too many tabs and the sealant around the ring. please help guys and rep is about to be given out lol

96GSRteg

Tyler
heat gun or put it in the oven. it will loosen making it easier to crack open. how much water is in there? i had collected a few drops over the winter and i got it out by just blowing hot air into the back.

Edit: 250 degrees at 15 minutes in the oven will do the trick.

Last edited:

pbteg11

pbteg11
well man i dont have a heat gun so i guess its oven time, but you know how scary that is?lol 250 degrees for 15 minutes?...not that i dont trust you but i assume you have personal experience?

96GSRteg

Tyler
you can always try 200 degrees for 5-10 minutes if you want to be extra cautious. but the plastic isn't going to melt or anything. Its a well accepted method.

pbteg11

pbteg11
this is why i need to take them apart lol

96GSRteg

Tyler
oh lawdy! wear a mask because there has to be something poisonous in there lol. you should get some headlight cleaner from the auto store too. they will be looking brand new in no time.

Robbdance

Straight Pipes
How the hell did all that get in your headlights!?
I've seen like.. litres of water in a grand am's tail lights, but that's just nasty.

Like stated above, try the oven method.. 200 degrees for about 7 minutes should get the job done.. just keep your eye on them.

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
That looks like loads of crap in there... I have yet to see something so hideous in someone's headlights in person.. get rid of that right away good luck :(

Prozon

Kris
On a positive note, the heat should kill that crazy ass monster growing in your headlights.
(Or convert it into a toxic gas.)

Let us know how it goes. :thumbs up

pbteg11

pbteg11
just cracked it open and omg it smells horrible!! the humidity here in arkansas helped none!! well stayed tuned for the finished product and pics along the way!