Heat goes cold when sitting still

StoobyMcDooby

Like the title says, my heat goes cold almost immediately after coming to a stop. Replaced heater core last year, no problems since. Blower motor works fine, heater valve works fine too. Car doesn't run hot, warms up like it always has. Have tried different combinations with recirculate on and off, still nothing. Heat is blistering when moving though. Coolant level is fine.

Here's the clincher- once I come to a stop and it gets cold, if I hold the revs around, say, 2,000RPM, it goes back to being hot so as long as I'm holding the throttle. (Obviously because I'm forcing the coolant to flow at a faster rate than it would at idle).

What are my options here? I've never replaced the thermostat in my 45,000 mile ownership - but, I can't believe it would be the thermostat unless it were stuck open. If it were stuck closed I would be running hot. Water pump was supposedly replaced right before I took ownership, along with timing belt.

Any useful help would be much appreciated.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Dude...I would replace the thermostat sounds like its going bad...It might just be as simple as that (don't think to hard). I had similar issue, everything working just no heat or heat off and on. Replaced the thermostat topped the coolant and problem resolved just in time for the damn cold in MN. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

StoobyMcDooby

Dude...I would replace the thermostat sounds like its going bad...It might just be as simple as that (don't think to hard). I had similar issue, everything working just no heat or heat off and on. Replaced the thermostat topped the coolant and problem resolved just in time for the damn cold in MN. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.
sounds like yours was stuck closed. There is no way mine could be closed. But it sounds like I should just replace it anyways seeing as it is so cheap.. I'll let you know..

Keep the thoughts coming guys.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
u probally have air trapped in it ,sometimse hooking a garden hose to one end will orrce it out

Ch_n0

i had the same problem last week and my friends told me that it was the thermostat... But all i did was to flush the radiator and replace the antifreeze/coolant. But i will replace the thermostat evetually...