Help Diagnose This Clunk

jbrown97ls

So my DB7 has had a pretty bad clunk in the suspension when under load and turning, especially up and down driveways. I have skunk 2 pros2 full coil overs that are less than a year old and they are installed correctly. So far I have bought brand new axles, new wheel bearings, and checked to see if it's my end links by removing the sway bar. Noise is still there without sway and end links, just a little less . My rear engine mount IS bad and will soon be replaced, but I don't see how that could cause the popping/clunk noise when coasting down and turning out of a driveway slowly? Any one have any other ideas? I've searched and cannot find any other options. This noise is driving me crazy.

TheCrimsonStar

Try changing your tie rod ends. Had the same issue on my first car and that was the problem

Sent from my GameBoy Color using Tapatalk.

Theasian

Clunk or pop? I would look into the.front lower control arms.a bad motor mount def needs to be fixed. The compliance bushing I've found has caused clunking before. Dose the noise happen over all bumps. Try hitting the brakes when going over bumps to see if the noise goes away.

xX6IXXx

Its probably a rubber bushing in your suspension, or actually more to the point the lack of a rubber bushing.

CokeSlap

Any update on this? I have a similar clunk coming from what I believe to be the front passenger side and just installed new struts, springs, tie rod, ES master bushing kit and a few other various things. Haven't checked all of my motor mounts yet but that is on the list of things to do. Axles and CV joints looked alright when I had the car on a lift but what the hell do I know I am a noob.

Noise almost seems sporadic. It isn't all bumps that will cause it on mine and it will happen on big bumps small bumps sometimes no bumps. Doesn't happen on acceleration but on deceleration it seems to happen more often and it is never consistent. It will sometimes clunk once or several times in succession. Was hoping to get a video of the noise but have yet to get around to it.

jbrown97ls

I forgot about this thread BUT I did figure out where the mysterious clunk/pop came from while doing my engine swap!!

One of my driverside front lower control arm bolts was loose! :confused: The nut that's welded in the subframe had came off from what I'm guessing was the shop that installed my es bushings in my front lcas. I had to drill the existing hole in the subframe a bit bigger to get ahold of the nut and get it on the bolt with some thread lock. It took some time (patience is key) but I got it on and the noise went away! I definitely felt like I had been driving around in a death trap and wasn't pleased that a mechanic would think that it was okay to let someone drive around like that when they knew something was wrong. Needless to say, I had a firm discussion with the shop owner about his mechanic and have not went to that shop, or any other since. The bolt was just pressed in there and had stayed in due to the load on the lca.

Anyone with this problem, please check every bolt on your suspension before replacing axles. It will save you money and a lot of wasted time. Also, after such a bad experience, I reccomend that if possible, do all the work to your car by yourself unless you truly trust the person you hire to work on it.