Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Viper 5701 (shop and refurb)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Autopage 425lcd (craigslist)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

nabwong

Hi everyone,

So I went to a reputable shop and they offered me 2 alarms. The people there were really nice. Both are installed for $275 and 1 year warranty.

1) Crimestopper sp-500 (comes with lcd remote)
2) Viper 5701 (refurbed)

I've read conflicting reviews. People complain mostly about the remote failures on these 2 systems. Alternatively, someone (from craigslist) can install the Autopage 425lcd for me for about $300. What do you think? Go with the shop with the 1 year warranty?

Edit 1: I forgot to say that I will NOT be installing the remote start.

Edit 2: Ravelco just replied to my email. $409.95 installed. What do ya think?

Last edited:

j13

Keep It Clean
Crimestoppers alarm is a good alarm. I got the SP101.

275 is a little pricey for the SP500 since its only a $70 system.

nabwong

I thought $275 is ok for a professional install. It's not cheap but i've been quoted way worse. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards the viper 5701 + backup batt + audio sensor + extra siren. I'll get the tilt sensor later maybe. I still got to fix my paint and brakes.

killjoy

I've seen the 5701's fail numerous times (brains and remotes) since their conception, DEI claims they've fixed the issue but I'll believe it when I see it.

I hate the new line up of 5701/5901 vipers (the older ones were bullet proof), but if you're actually going through a pro install shop, make certain theres a warranty on parts (and labor) and you'll be fine. DEI makes good products, but their latest systems they just crammed way too much technology in and released them too quickly....

gl If it were me and I knew what I know now I'd get an older system that never fails (like a 791xv, 5900sst, that series) and find someone to install it for you who knows what they're doing

killjoy

I have and like ComputStar but that's not an option... oh well
Compustar does make good stuff (silly range). The delay from button press to action however is just too much for me... I have a Viper in both my and my wife's vehicle for this reason alone.

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
I have the autopage! I love it... but its exactly the same as the viper, just cheaper... only issue I have with it the 2 way pager color fades fast! I had to paint mine.. I really want Ravelco but no one by me installs them...

nabwong

I've seen the 5701's fail numerous times (brains and remotes) since their conception, DEI claims they've fixed the issue but I'll believe it when I see it.

I hate the new line up of 5701/5901 vipers (the older ones were bullet proof), but if you're actually going through a pro install shop, make certain theres a warranty on parts (and labor) and you'll be fine. DEI makes good products, but their latest systems they just crammed way too much technology in and released them too quickly....

gl If it were me and I knew what I know now I'd get an older system that never fails (like a 791xv, 5900sst, that series) and find someone to install it for you who knows what they're doing
Thanks. I hope the refurb they offer means that they've looked at the problem and deem it ok. Plus the shop is offering a 1 year warranty.

nabwong

Question,

Where do you hide the brain, backup batt and extra siren? Is it a good idea to tape up all the wires black with electrical tape?

killjoy

you must bury the brain in the dash, or further (the farther you bury it, the harder it will be for a thief to find) find a good solid spot to mount it. Same goes for the back up battery .. the siren is really up to you. I've seen people mount Piezo sirens on the inside of their cars too to make it unbearable to sit in when the alarm is tripped.

nabwong

you must bury the brain in the dash, or further (the farther you bury it, the harder it will be for a thief to find) find a good solid spot to mount it. Same goes for the back up battery .. the siren is really up to you. I've seen people mount Piezo sirens on the inside of their cars too to make it unbearable to sit in when the alarm is tripped.
Thanks for the tip. I got my car back. Overall i'm happy (and feel safer) with the installation. The installer took about 15 mins to show me how the alarm works. He made sure the wires are hidden. So far so good. I like the flashing blue led that flashes when you arm it. This alarm might be an overkill. My car is probably the "worst" one on the block. There are jags, bmws, mercedes. But better safe than sorry. I am going to NY next week, parking overnight in brooklyn so I feel better with the viper.

Question: How do I activate the button lock on the remote? I don't wanna accidentally press the buttons when it's in my pocket. I know there's an explanation on page 11 of the manual but I'm not understanding it. Someone please explain to me like i'm a 10 year old. :)

Edit: This 10 year old figured it out...woohoo...

Last edited: