Help me convince my Mother to buy this car!!

heykosal

Angkorian
http://www.alexandria.subaru.com/certified/Subaru/2008-Subaru-Legacy-973435140a0a0064016c50af86ba6eb7.htm?ddcref=soacpo

Give me some suggestions! She likes the AWD capability/safety and the styling. She has yet to drive it or see the interior.

I like the 2.5L turbo flat-4 and the shift paddles.

Does anybody know if this transmission rev-matches on downshifts?
I know the current generation standard Legacy rev-matches on downshifts, and the current 2.5GT is manual only, which is why I'm looking for last gen. models.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i dont believe it rev matches. But the fist thing that comes to mind when you mention subaru (after sexy, STi, blue, sex etc etc) is the saftey factor. They have one of the highest crash test ratings, they are very economical and its not a honda so its safer and you wont get pulled over :thumbs up

Rich-PMS

Around here subarus get pulled over more than hondas..... But then again alot of 17 year olds have STIs and drive like douchepuddles.

I say mamadukes should get it

speedin

The Transporter
No on the rev matching... But arnt you looking at Auto's? So why would there even be rev matching?

But here are your selling points (remember its your mom not you)

- Safety (Subaru's have impeccable safety ratings)

- Reliability (That engine and drivetrain have been around for awhile and are very stout. Subaru is on par with, if not better than on certain models, Honda and Toyota)

- Foul weather capability (AWD)

- Cost of ownership (very reliable, and when things do go wrong their easy to fix and parts are cheap. Mostly due to Subaru doing ALOT of parts sharing)

- Styling/Space (A personal thing, but imo thats a good looking car vs others it compares with. The interior is also VERY well done, and the quality of materials is high.)

- Power (Id leave this till last so she doesnt think thats your main reason for pushing the car. But really when pulling out in traffic the TQ of the Subaru 2.5 Boxer is great. The running joke is; "No gap too small.")

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
No on the rev matching... But arnt you looking at Auto's? So why would there even be rev matching?

But here are your selling points (remember its your mom not you)

- Safety (Subaru's have impeccable safety ratings)

- Reliability (That engine and drivetrain have been around for awhile and are very stout. Subaru is on par with, if not better than on certain models, Honda and Toyota)

- Foul weather capability (AWD)

- Cost of ownership (very reliable, and when things do go wrong their easy to fix and parts are cheap. Mostly due to Subaru doing ALOT of parts sharing)

- Styling/Space (A personal thing, but imo thats a good looking car vs others it compares with. The interior is also VERY well done, and the quality of materials is high.)

- Power (Id leave this till last so she doesnt think thats your main reason for pushing the car. But really when pulling out in traffic the TQ of the Subaru 2.5 Boxer is great. The running joke is; "No gap too small.")
Thank you Mark, those were the exact type of answers I was looking for.
Yeah, it will be Mom's car and she can't drive stick, so it must be auto. Unfortunately(in this particular situation) the current generation 2010 2.5GT Legacy's are manual only; You can't get one with a slushbox. Plus I like the styling of last generation better too.

But surprisingly, Subaru's current paddle-shifted automatics actually do rev-match!
Automatic Transmission Standard 5-speed adaptive electronic SPORTSHIFT automatic with downshift rev-matching control.
This quote is taken from the official Subaru website, info. on the 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited.
Here's the link: http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/legacy/36r-limited/index.html <<---- click on "Features& Specs" or "Performance & Safety" and that's what it says under transmission.
Even the standard CVT with the base 2.5 four has paddle shifters that obviously don't swap actual cogs but they do swap ratios!
It's got a very handsome interior..

You can see the paddles peaking out from behind the wheel. Which, by the way, perform shifting duties correctly with the left paddle downshift right paddle upshift rather than dual-action buttons.

heykosal

Angkorian
its the obvious winner. what else is there to say.
Lol yeah Adel I know the car is a winner. That's not what I'm saying though I'm asking for advice of how to convince my Mother that this is the best choice in a new car..like what should I say to her? And Mark thoroughly answered my question with some great advice, as always.

Well now I'm a little apprehensive about getting an '08. Subaru does have an excellent CPO program, but it's difficult to find a "cheap," low-mileage 2.5GT though.

Do you guys think it would be better to just buy a new Legacy? But I won't be able to get the turbo engine because as I said, they're stick-shift only. So I'd have to choose between the relatively wimpy 170-horse 2.5L 4-banger with a CVT(the only available transmission), or the powerful 3.6R version that has a 256hp/247tq flat-6..for which the choice would be a no-brainer, of course the 3.6R!

It's got paddles standard with downshift rev-matching(which I'm still unsure of if the '08 model rev-matches) and we'd definitely buy the Limited model which comes with a boat-load of standard features including nav, roof, dual-zone auto. climate, and the requisite 440-watt harman/kardon that sounds absolutely amazing!

Or maybe an Outback?

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
Oh yeah, here's the 2008 model:

Really nice interior, and the paddles are larger too, than the 2010 model's