Help me find this noise in my hatch area

jackacc

I have had this noise in the hatch area for a while now so tonight I finally stripped off all the plastic and took a look. It is a "creak" or a "snap" kind of sound that resembles 2 pieces of metal coming together.

I just cant find anything! The only thing I can pinpoint is that it is coming from the passenger side of the hatch. When I slightly lower the hatch (so that the hatch itself flexes a little) the noise occurs, only when I do it on the passenger side, not the center or the right side. It is not the rear wiper assembly, it sounds like it is coming from inside the hatch between the metal if that makes sense.

I just can't see exactly where it is coming from. Maybe one of the pieces of metal that join together the top and bottom of the hatch came loose? That is all I can think of. Between some of the places where the metal comes together it looks like there is some kind of caulking isolating the joint, maybe there is one up in there somewhere that is not insulated anymore?

Anyone else have a problem like this and tackle it? It is driving my nuts!

Thanks!

ropeadope14

the only thing i can think of is it that its one of your trunk hinges or somfething like that. i dont know if we can help your just going to have to keep searching lol sorry

jackacc

Yeah it was a shot in the dark, lol. I just figured I'd try and see if anyone else had a similar noise that buried itself way up inside the hatch.

I don't think it is a hinge, it literally sounds like it is coming from inside the hatch somewhere near the rear wiper assembly, but not the assembly itself, I have been all over the assembly but it is just outside that area...making me crazy!

I am thinking it may be a little spot weld or something that broke free (if there are even any spot welds up in there), I just can't figure it out! I stuffed a couple shirts up inside to see if that quieted it down but no dice. This is a persistent little bugger.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
have someone drive it for u while u try pushing on the area of the rattle. i cant say ive had this prob .

jackacc

Fixed it

UPDATE:

I finally fixed the creak after a couple hours out there... And my fix is very ghetto, and I had to sacrifice one gasket scraper tool, but it works, no noise and I am happy.

I took a light and a mirror and tried to find exactly where the noise was. I still could not see anything blatant. It was very close to the wiper assembly but closer to the rear of the car on the hatch. There was an area that I could put pressure between that made the noise get quieter, and with enough pressure, go away...The creak was coming from WAY up inside the hatch. I tried stuffing some things like T-shirts and rubber in there to put pressure near the area but nothing worked...

That is until I said screw it, I need a lever of some sort... I maneuvered my gasket scraper tool in between the hatch (after wrapping it in electrical tape) and worked it tightly into place where it put a spreading kind of pressure in the affected area where the noise was. Zip tied it into place to ensure it never comes out. BAM, problem solved.

Odd solution, but I can hear myself think again when I am driving, not tap tap tap tap tap tap tap the whole ride to work.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
hey , whatever works good 4 u!