Help! Metal shavings in distributor

StoobyMcDooby

Posting for a friend

The screw mounting the rotor button broke so the owner of the integra tried to drill out the screw. He got the screw out, but there are a ton of metal shavings inside the distributor now. After completing the tune up, the car cranked up fine, idled fine, drove for a quarter mile and it cut off quietly and now has no spark.

He took off distributor cap and all of the shavings are stuck to the magnetic piece in the distributor, circled in red below.

He can't clean the shavings off it because he had to glue the rotor button on. (bc he destroyed threads in distributor)

1) What is the thing circled red?

2) Being that the part is magnetic and the shavings are covering the part, could his only problem be the shavings interfering with something?

Help is greatly appreciated

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
i dont know whats its called exactly, i think its just some kind of magnetic sensor, that dizzy sounds fucked up beyond belief, id just get a new one...

StoobyMcDooby

i dont know whats its called exactly, i think its just some kind of magnetic sensor, that dizzy sounds fucked up beyond belief, id just get a new one...
It's actually my elderly neighbors car who had someone work on it. She has little to no money, and can't afford a replacement distributor. I'm trying to find a junk yard dist.

WAR 178

Premium User
yeah...snatch up a new/used one! that one there is jacked up now... or find somebody who likes taking them apart, and have em clean it out.
or offer to buy the whole car from the neighbor...tell her she dont need that type of car anymore lol

Prozon

Kris
I believe you can find a re-manned at a part store for under $150.

I would try cleaning it out with a q-tip or something, but it really sounds like the least of your worries.

StoobyMcDooby

I believe you can find a re-manned at a part store for under $150.

I would try cleaning it out with a q-tip or something, but it really sounds like the least of your worries.
$210 is the cheapest i can find locally and she cant afford it.