help please, B16 spun bearing

lil929rider

I just acquired an acrura integra(3rd gen) and it has a b16a swap. The motor has spun a bearing and I need you guys input. Should I just throw bearings in it and hope for the best or have the crank machined so i know exactly what size bearings i need. I would appreciate the input...thanks

Last edited:

Theasian

Depending on how bad the bearing gouged the crank you may be able to get away with just polishing it. Just take it to a machine shop and see what they have to say about it. If they machine it you will need to get oversized bearings. And be sure to plastigauge them when they are installed.

Theasian

ACL Bearing are the slandered really. Get their Duraglide bearings. Ive never had a problem with them.

lil929rider

I found bearings on cimotorsports.net that we're $30 but I didnt know if they were worth anything. I figure you get what you pay for. Thanks for your help.

Theasian

Yea bearings are one of the most important part of the engine so i dont cheap out on them.

lil929rider

Yea i'm prob. going to replace the oil pump just to be safe. Do you think I would need to change the oil sending unit. The kid i got it from tried to put bearings in it and didn't succeed. He said he tried two different sizes and they didn't fit. He also said their were metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan.

Last edited:

Theasian

You can replace the pump if you want. W/o having a oil pressure reading from the pump its hard to say. The metal in the pan is from the bearings going bye bye.

Safe side your rebuilding the engine I would do a new oil pump, of course have the block checked for out of round cyl walls to see if you need to have it bored over or not, have the block and head checked to see if they need decked. Recondition or replace the rods and pistons.

lil929rider

Yea true...The integra I got is supposed to be a true gsr and someone swapped a b16a in it would u rebuild the b16a or try to find a b18 to put back in it? Personally I just wanted to drive it for a year maybe two then do a swap myself.

Theasian

Personally I would keep the b16 head and see if you can find a gsr block and do a poor mans type r build.

Search it. I havnt seen one of these personally but I've heard people really like them. Then later down the road sell those b16 cams get type r cams or something a little bigger and tune.

lil929rider

K thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I just hope to get it on the road asap. would any of my b18 parts work with that b16. i have a b18b its an ls motor non-vtec.

Last edited:

Theasian

No problem. You could use the block for a ls/vtec use the water pump from your b16 get a new timing belt hg and head studs.

Alternator and brackets are the same I believe.

mirrorimg

The oil pump rotor clearances can be checked with feeler gauges to see how worn they are. You can replace the internals for the oil pump without having to shell out $130 for a new one.