help problem with my teg 1.8L B18B1

integra87

as topic say i will try my best to describe what is happening to my teg im not sure but i did alot of google and forum searching i found couple of answer but im not sure if those are the correct answer so please help me out.
submodel: LS
Year: 1997
Engine: dohc 1.8L B18B1 4cylinder not vtec

Last monday 1/18 going home from work my car was fine running smooth onto it start raining hard when i got on the highway about 2500 rpm my check engine light came on so i just drive it home, Next day i took it to a shop to scan the codes i got a oxygen sensor code he erase it the check engine light turn off. few minutes later the check engine light came on so he scan it again it was the same code the oxygen sensor 1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1 he say it was 100% the oxygen sensor. So i whet to advance autopart they say there 2 type downstream and upstream i have no idea which type it was. my o2 sensor is located on my header but underneath the car, http://i46.tinypic.com/20i8lmw.jpg
So the guy at auto parts say it was an upstream i brought the cheapest sensor "Bosch universal o2 sensor upstream" with wire connectors, got it install and still got a check engine light on. The guy at autopart say just test drive it around and see if the check engline light goes off so i was driving on the road it seem like it was lacking some power and when i stop at a red light the engine temperature will move slowly from cold to hot near the red mark onto i accelerate on a green light than it will slowly move back to cold also it was burning alot of gas :x whenever i cut off the engine you can smell like something was burn kind of like burn gas or rotten egg smell pretty stink that give u a headace. My other problem was that whenever i dont have my ac or heater on my coolant would be at min level, But when i turn on my ac or heater on my coolant will burn so quick not sure if the o2 sensor is costing it. I hadnt check on my thermostat yet hadnt got it replaced,

help please

dc2b18

Wait... What?
The oxygen sensor can't cause the engine temperature problem. You probably need a thermostat.

1stgsr

Grocery Getter
id start with the thermostat but if your throwing a O2 sensor code and your lacking power you might also take a look at a clogged/bad cat...if you happen to have a one of the laser thermometers u need to check the temp and the header side and the muffler side of the cat after the car is warmed up, if there is a big temp difference id un bolt it and see if it is shot.

as far as the overheating, thermostat, air in the line, make sure your cooling fan is comming on (when i put the a/c back in one of my old tegs i was using an aluminum radiator from a civic but the condenser blocked a lot of the air i had flowed originally so if i was not on the highway the coolant wld get HOTTT) and if you are just normally driving say in town and you come up to a light and the temp starts to rise but when you start moving again it goes down you might have a water pump going out....just throwing some ideas out there bro 8)