help w/ gsr build

sofakingquick

hey, i just joined clubintegra and need some help working out a setup for my 01 gsr. this will be my first build so i dont want to do anything that would be over my head. My goals are to make around 175 whp in the 7200-7500 area, make high 13 to low 14 sec passes, and have a reliable and fun daily driver. I would like to do itr cams and valvetrain, but im still looking at other options. for exhaust im thinking comptech header, 2.25" hi-flow cat and 2.36" skunk 2 catback. I would also like to make as much torque as possible, would a 2.25" exhaust better suit me? also would a custom header be a better use of my money? I would have all this tuned with hondata s100, get some sticky tires, cai, iridium spark plugs, and at some point would like to swap in a type-r tranny w/ lsd. Does this sound like the right setup for my goals? Im still learning so any help is appreciated.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
-I would add some pistons to your setup to raise your compression. Getting bigger cams causes cylinder pressure to be lost during overlap, this presure needs to be gained back, that's what Hi comp. pistons will do for you. No cam performs to their peak ability without the proper compression.
-I'd definitley stick with a 2.36 or 2.38 inch exhaust for your package and peak HP goal. A 2.25 inch exhaust won't give you more TQ, it will simply cause your peak TQ to occur at a lower RPM. A 2.36/2.38 inch exhaust will allow for more peak TQ and will move that peak up the RPM range nearer to your desired powerband (and shift point).
-Of course, a longer hybrid header like an SMSP or a Hytech, will always perform better than any mass produced header that ends at the stock cat point, the question is if you wanna spend the big money on one. :)
-A SRI would be better for you package. SRI allow for better flow at high RPM's than CAI's (because they are shorter and of a bigger diameter), better throttle response too. Once your car is in motion, the advantage of the CAI is over, and their smaller tube diameter and longer legnth are more restrictive compared to SRI's in the upper RPM's.
-Factory spark plugs (NGK) would be fine to use. Ignition upgrades are unnecessary on all motor setups, just be sure your plugs and wires aern't old and worn out and you'll be good.
-If you do raise your compression, you'll want to get some biger injectors. You don't want your GSR injectors putting in too much work and crapping out on you.

sofakingquick

thanks for the info man. good thing i didnt order the cai yet. geuss ill do more resarch on pistons and where my compresseion ratio should be. do you have any recommendations on shops in nh?