help...weird whining/ supercharger like noise

92GSRneedswork

there is a strange noise coming from the rightside, it started off not that loud so at first i thought it was my intake, the next day it became very loud, the noise only happens when the gas pedal is pushed and the noise gets louder and highre pitched as the rpms increase, as i said it sounds like a whine and or the sound of a shitty supercharger. any help would be greatly appreiciated, i have no clue what it is.

emd513

check and see iff there is a hole in your intake or a vacuum line that has popped off the intake manifold

92GSRneedswork

check and see iff there is a hole in your intake or a vacuum line that has popped off the intake manifold
tranny side?
didnt see any holes or vacum lines that might of popped off, and yes its the tranny side, but thats what im afraid of, i mean you can hear it a bit on the left side but the sound is def coming from the tranny side

heritage36

I would take off the accessory belts to rule out those things first. If your power steering pump, alternator or A/C compressor have a bad bearing it would make almost the exact type of noise you describe. If its not something there, I would guess you have a bad input shaft bearing or main shaft bearing, assuming it is manual?

92GSRneedswork

I would take off the accessory belts to rule out those things first. If your power steering pump, alternator or A/C compressor have a bad bearing it would make almost the exact type of noise you describe. If its not something there, I would guess you have a bad input shaft bearing or main shaft bearing, assuming it is manual?
thats really informative i will have to check these things out, on a side note my belts are slightly squeeking and i know for a fact its due to my power steering pump hosing leaking over the belts, although the leak is very VERY minute its located right where the hosing meets the pump, needs a new oring i think

93DA/Mik

take off your dist. cap and see if there is a golden dust inside.
if so your shaft bearing is going to dust and you need a new dist.

DumaDa9

does it only happen when the car is in motion or can you have someone rev the car and pinpoint the sound

92GSRneedswork

does it only happen when the car is in motion or can you have someone rev the car and pinpoint the sound
the car has to be in motion, also the clutch has to be engaged, i could be at a dead stop or moving but if the clutch is on the floor and im hiting the gas there is no noise, as soon as the clutch is engaged the whining starts and gets louder the higher the rpm

DumaDa9

Well there you go now you've narrowed it down to something within your transmission. This almost sounds like the problem i had before with my idler within my transmission being jammed but that only happened in second gear and smelled as if something was burning. If you have someone in your area who works with transmissions i would pull it off and have them open it up and check it out, or if you happen to have a spare trans switch it out

Christianeib

there is a strange noise coming from the rightside, it started off not that loud so at first i thought it was my intake, the next day it became very loud, the noise only happens when the gas pedal is pushed and the noise gets louder and highre pitched as the rpms increase, as i said it sounds like a whine and or the sound of a shitty supercharger. any help would be greatly appreiciated, i have no clue what it is.
Hey i have the same problem but mine is slightly different. Its only on occasion that it whines, and only happens when i start my car and drive in first gear once i hit second it goes away.
Does yours make the noise at all times while driving?

92GSRneedswork

Hey i have the same problem but mine is slightly different. Its only on occasion that it whines, and only happens when i start my car and drive in first gear once i hit second it goes away.
Does yours make the noise at all times while driving?
yes the noise is continuous while accelerating, also as i said the clutch has to be engaged as well

92GSRneedswork

Well there you go now you've narrowed it down to something within your transmission. This almost sounds like the problem i had before with my idler within my transmission being jammed but that only happened in second gear and smelled as if something was burning. If you have someone in your area who works with transmissions i would pull it off and have them open it up and check it out, or if you happen to have a spare trans switch it out
arrrrrrgggg i dont want it to be the tranny:cry:

heritage36

You guys need input shaft bearings or mainshaft bearings, or both. They are not that bad to do once you get the trans out