help with alternator

darana

Does anyone know how to take the altenator off. I got the screws and nuts off and its off the bracket but I thought it would just come out from the bottom of the car and it doesn't fit and it won't come out from the top either. Anyone knows what needs to be done in order for it to come out. It's a 1990 da. any help is appreciated thanx in advance.

Nefarious

Oh man, the alternator on a '90 Integra. That's one of the crueler jokes that car can tell. I'd like to get my hands on... I mean, have some words with the engineer that came up with that one.

Try un-bolting the driver's side half-shaft carrier bearing frome the back of the engine. It's the black, loop looking thing that your driveshaft goes through. Since the driveshaft is still connected to the trans and the wheel assembly, you can rotate the carrier bearing around it. This should free up some space and allow for a slight displacement of the driveshaft. It gave me enough space to get my alternator out. DON"T force anything. I ain't paying for your screw up.

*This could spare you the task of removing the whole driveshaft. Which is the proper course of action.

Theasian

Yep as said above unbolt intermediat shaft jack car up let it hang low and you should be able to weasle it out of their.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
There are a few ways.

You can either remove the master cylinder and pull it out the top. Of course you will need to bleed the brakes afterwords. Or move the shaft out of the way to get it out of the bottom.

darana

I'm going to try the master see if I get it to come out thanx

darana

Hey I got it out by taking out the master but Damn it was a fight still to pull it out. Now I'm off to buy a new one and hopefully it won't be an issue putting it back in. Thanx for all the help again.

Prozon

Kris
I was at this point the other day.. I was going to pull the axle.. but I had to pull the head off the motor today and I JUST now realized that it won't be any trouble installing it now! Haha.

I'd be happy except that the head is off cause it's cracked. >_>

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I was at this point the other day.. I was going to pull the axle.. but I had to pull the head off the motor today and I JUST now realized that it won't be any trouble installing it now! Haha.

I'd be happy except that the head is off cause it's cracked. >_>
lol damn

Prozon

Kris
It sure is an effective way to install the alternator, however I do not suggest removing the head haha.

slickteggyGSR

heck ya i tried to replace the alt to day on my 96 gsr and who ever designed it the way it was must hav been a little high at the time

Prozon

Kris
heck ya i tried to replace the alt to day on my 96 gsr and who ever designed it the way it was must hav been a little high at the time
Think of it this way, the power steering pump could have been in place of the alternator. It never needs to be delt with, and you could make the power steering fluid lines shorter. And of course the alternator would be in an easy to access location. They should have thought of that one. :D

But removing the head sure is effective. :twisted: