Help With Motor problem

HopesFall

I Dunno...
I gotta 00 gsr with 80K on the motor, latley my cars been running like shit, i have I/H/E/IM and it ran fine till about 2 days ago, once vtec engages it doesnt pull like it did, i also think my cars running rich because my spark plugs were black on the tip of them and they were put in not ever 2 weeks ago, somsone told me i should go for a valve adjustment also... cars got a check engine light on for (P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold) does anyone know what is wrong with my car... Brother gave me the car, hes in the military and i cant get a hold of him, to see if he knows why...Someone Help

1990TeGLs

Official CI Thread Jacker
u need to have a mechanic look at it and diagnos it.....and some of it could be in ur head about it not pulling as hard...

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sounds like your running rich to me too. That would explain the catalytic converter related code from the ECU, running rich kills cats. Hey, now you have a good reason to get a high flow cat! But before you do that, you gotta find the problem causing the rich condition or you'll kill the high flow unit, too. It could be a few things: Are the plugs the right plugs for your engine? Is your air filter extremely dirty? Are your plug wires worn out?

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Time for new spark plugs and wires!

HopesFall

I Dunno...
i already have a high flow Kat done, got all new plugs, all new wires,but i was told that a valve adjustment is needed, the valves r causing the car to run rich....but its burnin oil as well

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
it would probably be faster with the stock IM on it if thats all the mods you have. the primary long runners help low rpm power and torque

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
If you're running rich is probably b/c your 02 sensor is going bad and not reading the proper a/f mixture, when you run rich you your cat cant compensate for it and it starts to clog and go bad eventually rowing your CEL light, then the ecu stops receiving all imput from all sensors and works on a fixed fuel program also refered as" limp mode" thus losing hp so you should replace the o2 and the cat cuz is already bad,