help with smoking issue

aharmon904

i have a 92 integra ls with a gsr head. runs great but is starting to smoke. sometimes it smokes a lil when i first start it, but its smoking more when im accelerating. if i drive it for more then 30mins straight on the highway it stops smoking for about a day then starts up again. susgestions please???

aharmon904

idk its weird, sometime its kinda white sometime its black. most of the time its kida grayish.

aharmon904

like i said its weird. never even tries to over heat or has trouble running. could it be the air fuel mixture? cause the dude i bought the car from was a cheap ass. i bought the car pulled the motor out to replace the tranny put it back in no problems. drove form fl back to louisiana then about a week later it started doing the whole smoke thing. its got new ctr pistons and the head just came back from dover motors. i just need some susgestions in how i can determine the problem?

aharmon904

it has a fuel pressure regulator with a guage under the hood. what should the fuel pressure be? theres a air/fuel guage in the car already but its not hooked up. he had that and a oil press guage in a pod set up on the dash

aharmon904

the vtec isnt working right now, so could that have anything to do with it? or can that hurt anything? i dont know why its not working, i think its the ecu but not sure, he dont know what ecus in it, only thing i know is its throwing a code for a auto trans/19blinks. so i was just gonna pick up a p28.

Alvi84

I'd start by checking to see if you are getting oil in your spark plugs. If you have oil in your plugs you have bad valve stems or worn piston rings.

Blue:

Blue smoke indicates burning oil (this is the most common). If the car is older, or has high mileage, than most likely the piston rings have worn down and oil is getting by the piston as it moves down the cylinder wall. It then gets burned with the fuel, which produces the blue smoke. The faster you go, the more smoke pours out of the car. If this is what's happening, keep an eye on your oil level. You will definately have to add some between oil changes.

White:

White smoke is not such a good thing. It means that coolant/antifreeze has gotten into the cylinder and is burning with the fuel. This should not be happening. If your car is burning white smoke (not just the white exhaust on a cold day, but consistently produces white smoke), first check your coolant tank and monitor the levels for a while and note if it's going down a lot. You should also look at the coolant and see if oil is mixing with it. Also pull out the dipstick and look for coolant that was contaminated the oil. Look for green spots on the dipstick, or an oil consistancy of chocolate milk. If the coolant is mixing with the oil, and you continue to drive the car, the car is not getting the proper lubrication it needs, and the engine can sieze at any minute (this will junk the car). The mixing is caused by a blown head gasket(most likely), possibly a blown intake manifold gasket, or worst case scenario, a cracked head.

Black:

If you have black smoke coming out the end, it means that too much fuel is being dumped into the cylinder, and not all of it has the chance to burn. This is caused by a faulty fuel-management computer, fuel pump, a faulty injector, or on older cars, a poorly tuned carbeurator. This is cause for the least concern, and usually just means you will get bad gas mileage. I would still have it checked out eventually.

Alvi84

Oh and your vtec is not working because you need a P28 ecu for your setup. The stock ls ecu doesn't have vtec engagement. Then get it tuned because those ctr pistons are going to sky-rocket your compression ratio to high 12's due to the massive dome on the piston.

aharmon904

just noticed that im leaking oil from the bottom of the distrubitor cap. but i got a new gasket and oring comning today.