HG blown, what else needs work at this time?

Colleen

I have a 1989 Integra LS with a blown head gasket due to overheating issue, so the mechanic says. He has sent it out for whatever has to be done to repair the car. BUT, can someone here with proper knowledge about such things, please tell me what *else* may need to be done at the same time so that this is not a repeat performance sometime in the near future? Do the valves have to be reground, or anything similar? This is my first Acura and I was really looking forward to a trouble-free summer of driving, but instead, I traded my 89 Ford Probe Turbo to the mechanic for just another set of problems, it seems.

Just as a matter of information, just exactly where *should* the needle be on the gauge before i start to panic? It seems to climb VERY fast when idling at stoplights or stop and go traffic, in drive-through lines, automated car washes, etc. I need another voice, another opinion. Helllllpppp please! Thank you. :(

Nick_C78

Oh man...

What caused your over heating issue. If i were you I would replace the entire cooling system except maybe the radiator if its in good condition. Water pump, thermostat, engine temp sensor, fan switch and give it a really really good flush. Just in case. It is all fairly cheap parts so you might as well change them.

As for what to do when changing your head gasket? Get the head and block checked to make sure neither are warped. Buy new head bolts, preferably ARP head studs, because reusing OEM head bolts is a bad idea. Especially when the previous HG blew. Also you should get your head cleaned up and replace any worn or damage valves, seals or guides. And of course change your timing belt.

That is generally the right way to do it, but it isn't cheap. So honestly, do what you can with your budget, because that is what you will do anyway. Despite anything we tell you.

Oh and you should be worried any time your temp gauge goes past half way.

Last edited:

enoch723

Nick has it all. Rarely you will have to put new piston rings in though if the head gasket blew. Rare though.. Most likely you warped the head though and will need it decked. Should only be about 85 to deck the head and maybe 100 to deck the block

Colleen

update

I have a 1989 Integra LS with a blown head gasket due to overheating issue, so the mechanic says. He has sent it out for whatever has to be done to repair the car. BUT, can someone here with proper knowledge about such things, please tell me what *else* may need to be done at the same time so that this is not a repeat performance sometime in the near future? Do the valves have to be reground, or anything similar? This is my first Acura and I was really looking forward to a trouble-free summer of driving, but instead, I traded my 89 Ford Probe Turbo to the mechanic for just another set of problems, it seems.

Just as a matter of information, just exactly where *should* the needle be on the gauge before i start to panic? It seems to climb VERY fast when idling at stoplights or stop and go traffic, in drive-through lines, automated car washes, etc. I need another voice, another opinion. Helllllpppp please! Thank you. :(

Colleen

Thank you for your help, guys. Just wanted to let you know that most of everything you've suggested here has been done., I am told by the mechanic. Not totally sure I am trusting what he has said though, at this point.

Nick said: Water pump, thermostat, engine temp sensor, fan switch and give it a really really good flush. Just in case. It is all fairly cheap parts so you might as well change them.

All done, with exception of fan switch. I did suggest that to them, but it was pooh poohed.

Nick also said: As for what to do when changing your head gasket? Get the head and block checked to make sure neither are warped. Buy new head bolts, preferably ARP head studs, because reusing OEM head bolts is a bad idea. Especially when the previous HG blew. Also you should get your head cleaned up and replace any worn or damage valves, seals or guides. And of course change your timing belt.

When I got the car, they had just done a whole 'short block' and as to whether they are warped or not, don't know. I DO know though, that the mechanic had me bring the car back in with only 100 miles on it to...do something like an adjustment to ...maybe the valves? And yet, originally, he had said to bring it back with about 500. I don't drive very far, so after a week, only had 100 miles on the new short block and he did the procedure anyhow. Could that have caused a problem such as the possible warping you mentioned?

Do not know about the head bolts or head studs, but I am going to print this information out and take it to the mechanic. Was told the timing belt had been changed when THEY (and ultimately me) got the car. Water pump was NOT done at same time, but later. They understand they should have both been done at same time, but was not.

*sigih*. I hope I didn't get in over my head here. I really REALLY appreciate your responses and I thank you very much.
I will check back in for further information should you have any that i might pass along to the mechanic.
Colleen

enoch723

If he told you to come back after about 500 miles then I would trust him. He sounds like an actual mechanic that knows what he is doing. He probably wanted to make sure nothing major was going to happen. What tends to happen when people change the head gasket, and after the head gasket re-seats itself from all the heat sometimes the head needs a re-torque to be sure the head is in place correct. If 1 bolt is less then 1lb off then head can warp and your back at square one.

But ultimatly warping comes from heat more then anything. Dont drive hard or anything.

But if he put a new head gasket on and you have already put about 100 miles on it, just be sure to baby it for a few weeks and every so often bring it in for him to check

Colleen

If he told you to come back after about 500 miles then I would trust him. He sounds like an actual mechanic that knows what he is doing. He probably wanted to make sure nothing major was going to happen. What tends to happen when people change the head gasket, and after the head gasket re-seats itself from all the heat sometimes the head needs a re-torque to be sure the head is in place correct. If 1 bolt is less then 1lb off then head can warp and your back at square one.

But ultimatly warping comes from heat more then anything. Dont drive hard or anything.

But if he put a new head gasket on and you have already put about 100 miles on it, just be sure to baby it for a few weeks and every so often bring it in for him to check
Update to the 'blown head gasket' issue. Turned out NOT to be the head gasket, but the oil pump failure. He had done a short block replacement earlier, before I got the car. I guess it was that oil pump that failed. So, he is currently rebuilding the engine. He says that is what caused the car to overheat when I was idling at stoplights, etc. (also, for me, it must have been the burning oil I could smell and was pooh poohed when I mentioned it) Anyhow, in a couple of days from now, says the mechanic, should be ready for me. I certainly HOPE this is the last of the big issues with this car. Thanks for all your help, gentlemen, I really appreciate the insight.
Colleen

Nick_C78

...How does a mechanic mistake a bad oil pump for a head gasket? Did he not do any tests to confirm it was HG before tearing it apart?