Hi! I'm retarded..

LightVibes

Ok, so... 1. yes, I made a larger mistake out of haste and financial restriction
2. I just want to know if I did serious internal damage possibly
3. Hai gaiz!

Well, I just bought a 94 LS, automatic and well, I wanted to change the oil!
I drop down and start prying on the bolt, to no avail...(Is this oil pan bolt reverse thread??)
Stripped like I threw a 5$ bill at that hoe.
Bought the Irwin extractor deali-o to no avail.
Did the research on how to drop the pan..Unbolt exhaust manifold, drop pan..wait, remove flywheel cover, drop pan...what a pain..
Drilled out the old bolt, slightly elipticised (made oval shaped) the drain plug hole...Tapped and rethreaded to 5/16.
Went to true value and bought an obnoxiously large bolt and metal washer..
Removed all the metal shavings and cleaned the pan good, changed the gasket and plugged her up..
Mind you this bolt was probably 2" in length, which did not occur to me in my rushed frenzy to finish her up.
So, I change the filter and rebolt everything, fill her up with some mobil 1 10w-30 and start her.
HOLY F%^K!!! kill it! kill it!
apparently the bolt is WAY too long..

buying a new oil pan with a proper fitting drain plug and new gasket to install tomorrow.

Did I just ruin my engine? By perhaps the lower lobe on a counter balancer for one of the pistons rubbing that giant stout super bolt?

R13

The other asshole
:rolf:

*Pats on back* It's okay, It's not your fault you're gifted. :lol:

Sent from my toaster

osiris19

Lmao them cranks are not made for smashing bolts. Pull the pan back off and see the damage and hope you didn't destroy the crank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LightVibes

Ok, will do!

I'll post some pics, and maybe a step by step video on the oil pan removal for future users..
*crosses fingers..

thanks gentleman..

Last edited:

osiris19

If you fucked up the counterweights, yes. Like I said, pull the pan and look. Don't run it again till it's fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LightVibes

Thanks again for the timely responses Osiris and r13.
I'll throw a pic up tomorrow like I said..
Hypothetically, If I did score/gouge one of the counterweights, what would be a plausible solution? rebuild? swap? I mean, I'm pretty newb, but taking out the crankshaft and replacing a counterweight sounds pretty dicey..Like I'd need a pretty extensive knowledge base and a high amount of resources...

dlo253

Def post up some pics.
Welcome to CI, been getting quite a few new members from WA... I like.

Volklord

Non V-Tec B18b1
Prolly the same sound an engine makes once oil starvation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
How is the bolt in the way of the crank? I'm confused but last I checked the drain plug was underneath the windage tray; not seeing how the crank could hit it.

dlo253

How is the bolt in the way of the crank? I'm confused but last I checked the drain plug was underneath the windage tray; not seeing how the crank could hit it.
I was chuckling this whole time seeing how long it took before somebody said that......

LightVibes

Well, it did sound dry, but I let it run for 3-5 minutes with the sound decreasing in decibel range I would say, but still, It sounded really really terrible like just metal scraping kind of, I also thought it might not be in the way considering it's in the deepest part of the pan (windage tray?)..Should I try to turn it over again and let it run?