High beam Ballist help

KylePlacke

A while Back i installed 8k low beams and 5k high beams. Overall i'm completely happy with the overall brightness and visibility i receive at night. The only drawback to having HID high beams is the amount of time the high beam ballasts take to charge. Usually i have maximum light output in 2-3 seconds. I was wondering if there were a way to wire my high beam ballast so it charges with the low beam ballasts and still use my switches as normal. I have had a few ideas on how i would do this, but i figured i might as well get some in put on this from others. Thanks in advance.!

speedin

The Transporter
A while Back i installed 8k low beams and 5k high beams. Overall i'm completely happy with the overall brightness and visibility i receive at night. The only drawback to having HID high beams is the amount of time the high beam ballasts take to charge. Usually i have maximum light output in 2-3 seconds. I was wondering if there were a way to wire my high beam ballast so it charges with the low beam ballasts and still use my switches as normal. I have had a few ideas on how i would do this, but i figured i might as well get some in put on this from others. Thanks in advance.!
You would have to break into the board of the ballast, or get a VERY strong relay between the light and ballast, but thats just asking for trouble. Simple fact is separate HID high beams are a NO NO! Just because of this reason. Notice how OEM applications use a projector on the low beam with a removable cut-off shield for the high beam (see bi-xenon)? Thats so another HID ballast doesnt have to kick on....

KylePlacke

Good point. haha, i didn't know if it were possible but i had a few ideas on how it might be done. i.e. switch on the wires exiting the ballast to the lights. I know that would work, but that wouldn't retain my stock switches. unless i could come up with a way to wire my stock high beam toggle to that switch. but basically that would allow me to wire my high beam ballast to my low beams which would hopefully charg my high beam ballasts allowing for immediate light. Ideas?

speedin

The Transporter
Good point. haha, i didn't know if it were possible but i had a few ideas on how it might be done. i.e. switch on the wires exiting the ballast to the lights. I know that would work, but that wouldn't retain my stock switches. unless i could come up with a way to wire my stock high beam toggle to that switch. but basically that would allow me to wire my high beam ballast to my low beams which would hopefully charg my high beam ballasts allowing for immediate light. Ideas?
Really the only good way to do it is to re-wire the board, and if you dont have some serious electronic experience your not going to be able to do it. The only other way is a relay on the outgoing power wires to the light, but because the amps are so high I doubt you will find a suitable relay thats not industrial and a PITA to get (be it actually getting or cost). Then you have to remember the power your playing with, this is why I really dont recommend it. If you get hit by the amp'ed up juice your in for some serious risks. Im pretty sure those put out enough to cause a heart arrhythmia, or worse.

Simply put, its not worth it. Normal high output incandescent bulbs are PLENTY bright enough for any highbeam. Couple that with your already HID low beams (that will actually project further due to the lack of a true HID projector, but subsequently blind people) and you have enough light. If you REALLY wanted HID highbeams the only way to go is buying a Bi-xenon projector.

KylePlacke

nah, it's not so much of a delay that it's a problem. I was just wondering if anyone had ideas on how to wire something up like that. Thanks anyway guys! lots of help

HondaDNA

Wire a toggle switch in for the high beams, use the switch to turn on the high beams at the same time the low beams are on then shut the low beams off when your up to temp.