High Idle CEL codes 3 9 14?fix to no avail!!!!!

dugan33

Hey, so this problem is so frustrating that I have come to join this website and make this thread after hours of forum searching on google.

Problem is: Recently bought a clean 1992 Integra stock with B18a1.
-originally ran ok had a rough idle kind of low like 700.
-had 3 check engine lights (#3 MAP, #9Distributor/cylinder position 1, #14 IACV)
What I have done to fix those:
#3 MAP
noticed the ran runs and drives fine I doubted the MAP being bad. I voltage tested the MAP sensor in on position and while pumping air into a vacumm line connected to it. Tested fine, voltage went down as vacuum increased and vice versa. However, I noticed the map on the firewall has been deleted along with vacuum canister. I relocated the map sensor from a plug on back of the intake next to the fuel regulator vacuum to a plug over by the throttle position screw, but not the big one in the middle.Also, this map sensor isnt from this generation integra its smaller and looks different. anyways, CEL #3 went away yay!

#14 IACV
I disassembled the throttle body completely(EVERYTHING), and reassembled it. used wire brush to clean ports, and soaked it in throttle body cleaner, then sanded the whole thing especially butterfly valve with 1000grit paper. I let the IACV soak in a a pool of throttle body cleaner for 8 min along with the FITL completely dissassembled. I reassembled them both after removing gunk and sanding them and screwed down the FITV about 3 turns almost to the bottom. To test the IACV i connected it to the battery and it make a clicking noise. figured it was good so I reassembled everything.

NOPE way worse idle continuously surged up and down :cry:
I then replaced my IACV with one from a 2001 civic that i also cleaned, and it steadied the idle now at 1100rpm. Now my car consistently stutters when I start it and usually stalls immediately if I don't push the gas, and once it stops it idles at 1100rpm warm or cold no matter how i adjust idle screw(done with car off or running with iacv unplugged to 500rpm)

#9 Cylinder position
I went on to my distributor anyways hoping that maybe somehow clearing that code would fix it. I looked the the position of the dizzy and noticed it was all the ways forward. I figured that was advanced too much so I moved it in the middle(no timing light). idle sounds better but didnt go up or down. Then, I disassembled the dizzy to find there was oil everywhere! everything inside was covered in oil! I cleaned it all out with brake cleaner dried it and reassembled with new wires and plugs.
-> still nothing changed!
so I rechecked the wire connections. sure enough a single white wire wasnt hooked up! i directly soldered it around the harness to ensure it doesnt fall out, and tested a recorded voltage of .3v at idle and continuity on each end. Then i reset the ecu by pulling the 7.5 fuse and everything was great for 3min! the car ran better than ever at exactly 750rpm and accelerated way easier. then CEL #9 came back on

I also tested my Throttle position sensor and it tested perfectly fine. I tested it because a new symptom that came with the high idle and start stalling is CHUGGING. and it's bad i dont even want to drive it! the thing hesitates and chugs at low rpms below 2k but is fine above 2k no matter what speed im going. BUT this never happened before it came with the 1.1k high idle problem.

last idea is maybe my clutch is messed up, not the plate or pedal but the throwout bearing. all of that is original at 156k and i can hear a strange noise from my bell housing.

so what the hell is going on? no vacuum leaks 2 cel's fixed now I have way worse driveability than before! sensors all test fine, injectors also tested fine, battery is in trunk but has voltage of 13 off 11.5-12 on.

dugan33

Update

Update, My CEL is sometimes off and when it is everything is fine and the idle is normal! Most of the time its on and all messed up. Today it wouldn't let me rev past 3.5k. whether the CEL is on or not seems to be determined when I start the car. If its on it stays on til i turn it off and vice versa

dugan33

New Dizzy still doesnt work

Ok, so now that I replaced my distributor my CEL 9 isn't there, but my MAP sensor is ANDDDD it runs like crap always:evil:. So I retested my MAP sensor and it still seems fine it reacts the way it should to vacuum. Maybe it's still bad? Can the MAP sensor I have not work for this car?

dugan33

Also, sometimes when I push the gas pedal it stalls out. The MAP sensor reads 1.01v at idle, and goes up to 2.8 then gets all over the place when the pedal is pushed. When I originally tested the sensor I just used a vacuum pump and it responded like it should, but it doesn't on the car. Whats going on?

Theasian

Ild say the set up you have is throwing it off. That vacume hose is going to cause off reading at the actual map

dugan33

No CEL still no good running car

Where should I put it? There's an open port on the back of the intake by the FPR line. I mean today it ran like crap in a whole new kinda way. There wasnt any CEL on the dash, but it was very slow to accelerate at early rpms and had a very bad idle. Will that MAP even work for this car should I get a different MAP?
[YOUTUBE="bad idle"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgskiN7Rrrw[/YOUTUBE]
and here's a pic of my firing order on dizzy

Last edited:

dugan33

Also, the previous owner deleted the vacuum canister and all that purge stuff so there isnt a MAP sensor on the firewall or anything vacuum related.

dugan33

Even more trouble please help!

Ok, now the problem is getting increasingly worse. It's barely drivable. It spits and fights any acceleration, sometimes throws code 3 on dash, always shows 3 short flashes when checked with or without cel on. WHATS GOING ON!! this is driving me nuts, I usually can fix these kind of problems. Do you think my ECU is bad? As for the MAP sensor, which one can I get? I don't have any Map on my firewall its off my TB as in pic above. Here are some vids of my awful car trying to drive. I seem to be having different symptoms every day! For supposedly being a reliable car it sure has a lot of problems!:(

[YOUTUBE="Poor Accelration onto Highway"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SpRlRej0Y&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Theasian

In theory any gen map should be compatible. Check your wiring to the map sensor double check your splices on the map sensor. Look at the pin at the connector for corrosion. Check your ground.

How dose the car run cold. Try and describe the problems when you first start it cold to the drive. Temp range performance level decrees.

Im racking my head

The map is hooked up to the proper port on the tb.

dugan33

On to something?

Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling that ECU pin out will be very helpful. I went to the junkyard and picked up a couple MAP sensors from various hondas and integras all denso with the same part number. Replaced MAP sensor no change between all of them. Then I retraced the wiring, something I didn't do before because of the 5v I was recieving and the 1.03v on the signal, and I found a very s***ty connection where the map sensor wires extend over by the brake master cylinder.

The wires were black couldnt even tell they were copper especially the red one. I redid the connections with wire crimps and corrosion protection goop, but im worried the red wire is bad because of it being black especially cause now my car has new symptoms.

Now it idles better, but is extremely lurchy! it still backfires, and hesistates, but not as bad. the whole vehicle jumps around when accelerating and it spits. :cussing:

I'm going to check the ecu pinouts, other connectors, codes, and get back here. Any idea what the voltage should be for the ecu pinouts, more specifically the MAP?

dugan33

MAP problems

basically im getting the correct voltage and each wire has continuity to the ecu now, but im wondering if map sensors are different between years. should I try and switch my wires around? Below is a picture of the wires/colors and how they hook up to my connector, ignore the wires behind it, they are just used as an extention. Basically im still getting code #3, but the map sensor passes and i have voltage and ground in my wires. now im wondering if the pins change on these new map sensors from my original one.

With the key in on position and motor off i get 2.87 at pin 1, continuity of .07(.07ohms off of voltage meter), 5v for pin 3. is this correct for my map sensor type in relation to my ecu? my map sensor looks like this