high idle problems

se7en-mm

here is what my car is doing..

when i start it, it will idle at 2k for awhile then after awhile it will idle and 1500, after it idles between 2k and 1500 for a few times after coming to a stop.

i did a search of the site and some poeple have said "it sounds like a vacum leak"

also there was one were somebody said bleed the coolant out of the throttlebody? lol, thats a first for me.

but i was also wondering if maybe it could be the IAC? or PCV?

and does anyone have a diagram for the vacum lines, there is no aftermarket intake setup on it at all.

thanks

Md426

Cold weather will make it idle high until it warms up. Does it come back down to 750~900 rpm after 5-10mins?

Bleeding the coolant is to remove air bubbles which will cause irratic idle.

Cleaning out your IACV will help some, the PCV valve would cause rough idle not really high idle but cleaning/replacing it wont harm anything.

This is for an Automatic,

This is for an Manual

se7en-mm

Cold weather will make it idle high until it warms up. Does it come back down to 750~900 rpm after 5-10mins?

Bleeding the coolant is to remove air bubbles which will cause irratic idle.

Cleaning out your IACV will help some, the PCV valve would cause rough idle not really high idle but cleaning/replacing it wont harm anything.

This is for an Automatic,

This is for an Manual
after about 5-10 min it idles between 1500-2000rpm

so there realy is coolant that needs to be bleed out of the TB? never had a car that had coolant running in the TB. how would i go about bleeding it?

what would be good to clean out the IAC, throttlebody cleaner or some other kind of solveant?

Md426

after about 5-10 min it idles between 1500-2000rpm

so there realy is coolant that needs to be bleed out of the TB? never had a car that had coolant running in the TB. how would i go about bleeding it?

what would be good to clean out the IAC, throttlebody cleaner or some other kind of solveant?
I used Throttlebody cleaner, make sure it's nothing that could be harsh on rubber seals.

The coolant line is on the throttle body under the intake port. The side towards the front is the supply line, the back one is the return.
I guess you can bleed it by pulling the return line off a little for a second to let coolant out of the throttle body? I've never done it myself.

Front

Back

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Almost all cars have coolant running through the throttle body, it's how they control your warm up regulator(or every other name for it).

se7en-mm

There is also a Fast Idle Thermo Valve or FITV

You can clean and adjust that.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

It's on a newer integra but it's basically the same.
I am going to look into that and probably clean that out as well as my IAC and replace the pcv.

Almost all cars have coolant running through the throttle body, it's how they control your warm up regulator(or every other name for it).
i had a 00 cavalier with the 2.4DOHC and that did not have coolant running through it that is why it sounds wierd to me to have coolant running through the TB

thank all. it will take a couple of days for me to get this done but ill let you all know how it works out when all is done.