Honda F1 SOLD!

g3teg97

Super Moderator
According to La Stampa, Honda F1 has a buyer: Mexican telecom billionaire Carlos Slim Helu. Reports claim he paid the single dollar Honda was asking. He trumped Force India F1 owner Vijay Mallya, who was suspected to want the Honda team only for its tech know-how, and Prodrive's Dave Richards.

When Honda announced its immediate departure from F1 on December 4, it gave the outfit 27 days to find a bona fide buyer who would make a credible 3-year commitment to run the team. If the team did find such a purchaser, Honda said it would assist with finances and technical support. Carlos Slim has the finances and the experience: he is reportedly the second richest man in the world, and his companies are already involved in motorsport.

If the transaction proves to be true, and assuming the team gets funded properly, it will mean a few good things for the 2009 F1 season: it will add another privateer team to the grid, it will let Ross Brawn continue creating the team he's been dying to lead since he was at Ferrari, and it will return the name "Senna" to the grid. Bruno, Ayrton Senna's nephew, is sponsored by Embratel, a subsidiary of Slim's Telmex company, and will certainly replace Rubens Barrichello as the one flying the Brazilian flag.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/27/honda-f1-sold-to-a-man-named-slim/

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I heard Barrichello was going to be replaced. Either way I think they need 2 new drivers.

I am looking forward to the new medal scoring system instead of the point system. Bernie is right, it will make for a more exciting year.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The used to use a place/point scoring system.

For instance:
1st=10
2nd=8
3rd=6
4th=4
and so on until 8th which was 1pt

That led to a lot of people settling for 2nd, 3rd, even 4th. Like last year when Massa won the last race but

Hamiliton only needed to get 5th to win the overall championship.

This year they're going to make it so that the person with the most gold medals is the winner. If there is a tie they will go down to who has more silver medals, and so forth.

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
i imagine more manufacturers will sell their teams in the future since Ferrari and Mercedes McClaren dominate F1. i like watching F1 but i dont like how it is dominated by 2-3 teams. i would like to see other teams get in the limelight.

i'd rather just stick to American Le Mnas Series and Rolex Sports Car Series...either one is exciting everytime.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
i dont like how it is dominated by 2-3 teams. i would like to see other teams get in the limelight.

i'd rather just stick to American Le Mans Series
Uh, American Le Mans has been more throroughly dominated by Audi then any other competition has been dominated by anyone. :what:

Audi won ever single drivers championship in the past 9 years in LMP1 and Corvette drivers have dominated the past 8 years in GT1

How is that any different than Ferrari and McLaren dominating F1?

Last edited:

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Psych! Honda F1 not being bought by Mexican billionaire

Have you heard the one about the former F1 team that gets bought by the Mexican billionaire? Yeah, well, we heard it, too, and it's completely untrue. Not only has Carlos Slim has not bought Honda, but a spokesman makes clear that "There is no deal for the Honda team. There is neither agreement nor negotiations."

Nevertheless, Honda says it is leaving the team in good shape and everything is still moving forward. Team chief Ross Brawn said "We have enough funding to get us through to Melbourne and we still have a competitive package." Brawn also said so many folks are snooping around that they've got to sort the jokers from the serious players. Cue Dave Richards...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/29/psych-honda-f1-not-being-bought-by-mexican-billionaire/

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
i imagine more manufacturers will sell their teams in the future since Ferrari and Mercedes McClaren dominate F1. i like watching F1 but i dont like how it is dominated by 2-3 teams. i would like to see other teams get in the limelight.

i'd rather just stick to American Le Mnas Series and Rolex Sports Car Series...either one is exciting everytime.
Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, and BMW have all had their share of good years. There are always going to be less fortunate teams but even Toyota had a decent year last season. If anything with the new rules F1 is becoming extremely competitive across the entire board.