Hose looks like a snake swallowed a rat

Excitable Kid

It looks like my hose got a real hard-on...

Also, I have rough idle at start up. It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm. The car shakes for a few seconds and then goes back to normal idle. NO CEL. Inside cabin of me car reeked the smell of syrupy coolant while I was driving. I see no leak, but holy f*** the hose.........

My cooling fans repeatedly go off even though the needle barely points at the half-way mark.

hndapowr

Muckman is that a common thing that happens when the head gasket goes?

Nick_C78

Muckman is that a common thing that happens when the head gasket goes?
Yes. The combustion puts air and pressure in to the system. Air expands when it gets hot, which causes ballooning of old hoses commonly. Another easy way to tell is if your overflow is overflowing.

The smell is probably the coolant itself burning(Assuming no leaks), and the rough idle is from the coolant getting in to the cylinders when the car is off.

Excitable Kid

Ah...shucks. I dread the word headgasket. I guess I have an early symptom of a bad HG because my oil looks fine and there's no white smoke coming out of the exhaust. . Should I do the combustion leak test to confirm I have a HG problem?

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
LOL. Sorry but that was pretty funny title/post xD. Yeah and even if something got clogged, I wouldn't think the water pump could blow up those pipes like that. Sorry dude :/

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Whenever you are having cooling system problems, replace the radiator cap. I remember hearing my professor say that he has seen all kinds of weird issues happen from a faulty cap. So you're saying that hose just bulged like that one day? Hoses do get old and expand like that, the starting issue could be completely unrelated.
- Aaron

Excitable Kid

LOL. Sorry but that was pretty funny title/post xD. Yeah and even if something got clogged, I wouldn't think the water pump could blow up those pipes like that. Sorry dude :/
I do my best to type out the most interesting titles. Bland titles are boring. Damn, I sound like a English major.

Whenever you are having cooling system problems, replace the radiator cap. I remember hearing my professor say that he has seen all kinds of weird issues happen from a faulty cap. So you're saying that hose just bulged like that one day? Hoses do get old and expand like that, the starting issue could be completely unrelated.
- Aaron
My car overheated when one of my small cooling hose burst open.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=89114

Nick_C78

When it over heated you likely blew your head gasket. Just do a combustion leak test and a leak down to be safe. Then go from there. You can check your rad cap too to be safe, but I seriously doubt that to be your issue.