How do I install camshafts?

ca86108

if u dont kno.. id get a professional to do it, or have someone that REALLY knows to do it infront of u

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Have any technician friends?? Thats who I get to help me when I'm nervous about tearin into my car.

PogKai

B20VTEC
take out the valve cover, remove two bar thingies, remove the caps and that's pretty much about it, oh and the timing belt.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Now you gotta tell him how to put it all back together. Including torque specs and all that good stuff.

Matticus

PogKai said:
take out the valve cover, remove two bar thingies, remove the caps and that's pretty much about it, oh and the timing belt.
Are you kidding? Have you ever changed cams? If you have did you really take the timing belt off?

What you need to do if you have never done it, is get a shop manual. Once you have the shop manual, find out how to set you motor at tdc, also read on how to set your valve clearances/ tolerances. DO NOT TAKE THE TIMING BELT OFF TO CHANGE CAMS. Once your valve cover is off and the motor is at tdc, zip tie your timing belt to one cam gear. Take all the cam caps off of both cams and pull the cam that isnt zip tied out. Put the cam gear on your new cam and re-install the new cam with the arrow on the cam gear pointing "up" (also make sure the motor is still at tdc). Put the cam caps on the cam you just replaced and tighten them down to make sure the timing belt is on the right tooth. Take the cam caps off. Cut the zip tie on the old cam and put one on the new cam. Same thing as before pull the old cam out, put the cam gear on the new cam, and install. Once both cams are back in, the cam caps are tightend down to spec, the motor is in PERFECT time, your going to have to adjust your valve clearances. You need a set of feeler gauges and just read the manual at how to adjust your valve clearances. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK. Make sure the motor is still in PERFECT time before you put the valve cover back on.

This isnt a direct how to, but should give you an idea of how to change them out.

PogKai

B20VTEC
Matticus said:
Are you kidding? Have you ever changed cams? If you have did you really take the timing belt off?

What you need to do if you have never done it, is get a shop manual. Once you have the shop manual, find out how to set you motor at tdc, also read on how to set your valve clearances/ tolerances. DO NOT TAKE THE TIMING BELT OFF TO CHANGE CAMS. Once your valve cover is off and the motor is at tdc, zip tie your timing belt to one cam gear. Take all the cam caps off of both cams and pull the cam that isnt zip tied out. Put the cam gear on your new cam and re-install the new cam with the arrow on the cam gear pointing "up" (also make sure the motor is still at tdc). Put the cam caps on the cam you just replaced and tighten them down to make sure the timing belt is on the right tooth. Take the cam caps off. Cut the zip tie on the old cam and put one on the new cam. Same thing as before pull the old cam out, put the cam gear on the new cam, and install. Once both cams are back in, the cam caps are tightend down to spec, the motor is in PERFECT time, your going to have to adjust your valve clearances. You need a set of feeler gauges and just read the manual at how to adjust your valve clearances. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK. Make sure the motor is still in PERFECT time before you put the valve cover back on.

This isnt a direct how to, but should give you an idea of how to change them out.
Yes, I have changed cams on my Teg, in here we do things differently. What I meant was slip off the timing belt out of the cam gears, and when finished adjust the timing belt and everything on TDC and is good to go!