how do i take off this axle nut

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
it will not come off I tried the impact wrench, a breaker bar with extension meal bar and 2 guys press down on it and my car started moving forwards it is rusted. so how do I get it off?

Charly[horse]

Name = John
Super long cheater bar, try the handle of your jack, and have someone hold the brakes to keep car movement minimal. Oh and don''t forget to use a lot of wd-40 or something of that nature to help with the rust.

drevans_satx

Dylan
1.Pb blaster, wd-40
2. 1/2 in breaker bar
3. Long cheater bar (I used a 6 ft section of galvanized pipe
4. Position said cheater bar at the 9-10 o'clock position
5. Hang there, bounce around, get a buddy with you.

Bitch is off. I used the same setup as muck man just with a long ass cheater bar. I had to park my car on a rough surface like my driveway because the garage floor was too slick and the wheel kept turning. Get creative man.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dlo253

Yeah, it's worse than that. I've never seen one this bad. We're probly gonna put heat to it, need to refill the gas tho. There must have been a good 400 ft lbs on that nut and it wouldn't budge. Air impact wouldn't do it either. It's absurd lol.
None of the usual methods worked, not whatsoever.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Yeah, it's worse than that. I've never seen one this bad. We're probly gonna put heat to it, need to refill the gas tho. There must have been a good 400 ft lbs on that nut and it wouldn't budge. Air impact wouldn't do it either. It's absurd lol.
None of the usual methods worked, not whatsoever.
You know that one friend everyone has? The fat one? Well he comes in handy on occasion, this is one of them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I wish it as that easy for me but after wat I just did its impossible
Believe me the weight of a man standing on the end of a 2 or 3 foot breaker bar is way more force than your puny impact wrench. Have some one stand on brakes if car moves. You are essentually using the weight of the car to your advantage. Try it.

dlo253

Like stated. Had a 4-5 foot tube on a 1/2 drive breaker bar. 2 big bikers on it, would not budge... I'm thinking it needs to soak for a good week in pb blaster or something, then heat that bitch up.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
was the wheel turning? 400+lbs multiplied by a 5 foot bar is enough force to break the socket and/or round the nut. c'mon. You're not doing something right.

dlo253

Car was moving. Not saying 400 ft lbs on the end of the bar, maybe should have specified. That would be at the nut, which is still much more than it should take. Next step is heat, that should do the trick for sure, but I'm out of gas. So not sure if he wants to wait til I refill it or go to a shop lol. Never seen this bs ever, and I've been building cars my whole life lol.

Nick_C78

Righty tighty lefty loosey bro! lol jk

I have never had issues with this. My weapon of choice:

Specifications: Working torque: 20-150 ft.-lbs. (27-204 Nm) Maximum torque: 450 ft-lbs. forward, 600 ft-lbs. reverse, Blows per minute: 1,250, Free speed: 9,500 RPM, Weight: 4.5 lbs.

She has never failed me. Kind of hard for 600 ft-lbs of reverse torque to fail you... lol

Muckman is right man..how the hell is the breaker bar NOT getting it off?

Last edited:

dlo253

Haha damn that's what we were doing wrong! Lol wouldn't that be some s***.

Yeah I have a big bad ass air impact that has done the trick on everything forever. All the "surefire" techniques havent done the trick lol.

Bout to have him come down to my damn work and utilize the industrial sized air compressor and whatnot haha.

And the breaker bar should have busted it loose with no problems. Especially at about 5ft bar with two guys on it. I think whoever did it last rigged it lol jk.

Last edited: