How do you convert a B17 to obd2?

DagoAcura92

Can you take necessary parts from a 2000 Civic Si (B16a2?) and make the B17 obd2? I have a DA, and see a Bare B17 long block for sale ($900). Thanks

purp_db7

why would u have to make it obd2 it makes no sense theres nothing good coming out of it being obd2.

esco115

Fawk a Title!
To the OP yes you can convert it very easly, my question is why if you have a DA? Do you mean you want to convert it to OBD0???

DagoAcura92

I figured if I get a bare b17 block I would have to get a new ecu, intake manifold and distributor to convert it over to vtec, why shouldn't I get newer parts and what not.

DustinXIX

I figured if I get a bare b17 block I would have to get a new ecu, intake manifold and distributor to convert it over to vtec, why shouldn't I get newer parts and what not.
the b17 is a vtec block to begin with so theres really no "conversion" necessary.get a vtec head, wiring harness etc.

Rich-PMS

900 for a bare block is a LOT of money

you'll need-
vtec subharness (rywire.com)
obd1 injectors(use your current ones)
obd1 ecu (a gsr ecu won't work since you won't have IAB)
obd1 distributor (can use your current)
obd1 altenator (swap over your current one)

It's a pretty straightforward swap and you can use alot of your stock stuff.

esco115

Fawk a Title!
Dude I think I know where your getting at, but your doing it wrong! Only because its a newer obd doesnt mean its better or going to work in your favor. First of how do you plan on pluging a obd2 alternator, dizzy, injectors etc to your obd0 harness? splice and ghetto rig it? come man please use common sense.. you want new? buy it new but for your car! ECU yes you will need a vtec one so you can use it with the motor also there's conversion kits for ECU's so you can plug and play with it.

Rich-PMS

Dude I think I know where your getting at, but your doing it wrong! Only because its a newer obd doesnt mean its better or going to work in your favor. First of how do you plan on pluging a obd2 alternator, dizzy, injectors etc to your obd0 harness? splice and ghetto rig it? come man please use common sense.. you want new? buy it new but for your car! ECU yes you will need a vtec one so you can use it with the motor also there's conversion kits for ECU's so you can plug and play with it.
I guess you missed that I told him he'd need to use jumper harnesses? Rywire makes jumpers for everything.

So how does the A2 make more power than the original b16?
The maps on the ECU could be a little more aggressive. They might have bumped up compression and or ported the head a little, possibly a slightly more aggressive cam. There are a lot of tweaks that can be made.
I don't remember the specs off the top of my head and I don't feel like checking up on it at the moment.

DagoAcura92

The maps on the ECU could be a little more aggressive. . There are a lot of tweaks that can be made.
Well this pretty much sums up my thoughts for the basis of this thread. I couldn't figure out the key workds in a search. To me the only real draw back to this route is availibility of these parts separately and how much.

Basicly I should just go with the B17 ( DB2/ GS-R) ECU, Intake Manifold and Distributor.

Last edited: