how do you swap a motor? out the top or the bottom?

swapping motor poll

• Total voters

Backwoodz Tuner

So I wanted to see how you guys do it. Whenever I go to drop a motor in or out a car I always takin the motor out the bottom . I never used a cherry picker to pull one out the top. So how do you swap???

Sirfallsalot243

Ive heard its much easier to drop it out the bottom, but without a lift, I havent been able to try it.

I have a cherry picker, which Ive used way more than I thought I would have. Ive done 5 swaps with it in the last year... two in my cars, and the rest my friends.

Little advice, if youre doing an Auto tranny swap, id take it out the bottom. AT is way bigger than the MT, and is a serious BITCH to get in and out of the bay (g2 bay for me).

Backwoodz Tuner

Ive heard its much easier to drop it out the bottom, but without a lift, I havent been able to try it.

I have a cherry picker, which Ive used way more than I thought I would have. Ive done 5 swaps with it in the last year... two in my cars, and the rest my friends.

Little advice, if youre doing an Auto tranny swap, id take it out the bottom. AT is way bigger than the MT, and is a serious BITCH to get in and out of the bay (g2 bay for me).
You don't necessarily need a lift to drop a motor out the bottom. You just need a couple motorcycle jacks and some bigass 6 ton jack stands. Lol and a couple blocks of wood. Then you just jack the front of the car up high enough to pull it out the bottom. But obviously after you dropped your motor on a thick ass board with wheels. Well that's how I do it. It's easier when you gotta do it your self and with no cherry picker

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
It is much easier to come out of the bottom if you can get the car high enough. That is the way Honda puts them in

Backwoodz Tuner

Well heres my semi new toy i use to swap motors out the bottom. Its a 4800 pound phenemtic,air, lift i scored of craigslist for 175 bucks. you jus put an air line to the cylinder and it then it lifts up to 5 ft high. It's the shit