how hard to install lsd ?

db84life

whats supz.... have anyone install a lsd on there gsr trany? if so.. how hard is it? is it worth of doing or juz get a type r ttrany?

the lsd is from phanton grip ? is this brand worth of getting adn install..?? thankz :D

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
to put a LSD in, you have to tear apart the tranny. the phantom grip is not a real limited slip differential. if i was going to pull the tranny apart, i would go ahead and put a type R or quaife LSD

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
How much power can a ITR LSD handle?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
i'm not positive, but i've seen one do just fine for along time on 275whp JRSC'ed ITR. Not sure i would push i much harder. The Quaife LSD's will handle a whole lot more and have lifetime warranties

97gsrjames

dc2GS-R said:
i'm not positive, but i've seen one do just fine for along time on 275whp JRSC'ed ITR. Not sure i would push i much harder. The Quaife LSD's will handle a whole lot more and have lifetime warranties
im making those kinda numbers right now with an r tranny. it works wonders. you should buy on

db84life

so i'm guessing its better off not buying that phanton grip and get teh other one u mention and put teh type r 5 gear in ight... i believe that 5 gear raito is lil longer thent eh gsr ight? tell me if i'm not correct....

i think i know what u talking about the diff. of the product. from looking a a phanton grip... its a block look like and have a hole in teh center... and i did found antoher one that kinda have gears and its much larger then teh phanton grip....

but is it hard to put a lsd .. and also how hard to switch teh 5 gears of teh 2... thanlz

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
if you've never torn a tranny apart and put it back together then its definitely going to be a tough job. transmission work is a headache.

NOFX

hater
Eran and I tore a D16Z6 tranny apart and rebuilt it. Surprisingly it was a lot easier than we expected. There was some problem solving, and figuring out what details people leave out about tearing down a transmission.

Winki

Undercover mod
I have OBX and i know there are always a lot or rumors about obx but there a good price and i have seen them hold some serious power and hold up just fine, and im talkin 400whp +++

95jdmdc4

I would definately have a reputable shop put an lsd in if you are not exactly sure on what you are doing.

97gsrjames

NOFX said:
Eran and I tore a D16Z6 tranny apart and rebuilt it. Surprisingly it was a lot easier than we expected. There was some problem solving, and figuring out what details people leave out about tearing down a transmission.
dude, good for you!!!! thats an acomplishment, and im not being sarcastic! i took apart an auto tranny (dseries), and attempted to put a new 1st gear in it. When i was done i brough it to New England Tech and had them put it on a testing machine to see if i was sucessful... when the trans went to shift to second the thing made a horrible band and the teacher looked at me and said "no hard feelings, thats not an easy feet to pull off. i couldnt do it either"

auto trannies are a little harder then a manual, but shit man, thats awesome!

:beer: :banana: :thumbs up

i love these smiley things

NOFX

hater
Well, we still have to cross our fingers for this. See, a shop was supposed to take care of it... but they dicked me over after I did work for them (search on CC for "Zeller" and it's the one result).

The tranny isn't in my car yet because we're goign to just have someone else put it in. Iit's too much of a hassle to do it here. The rebuild took us a couple of days so that when Eran got frusterated (he was doing the hard work becaues I'm too puny), we could just wait and cool off.

After putting it all back together though, everything spins correctly and smoothly. We continually tested how everything moved throughout the reassembly of the transmission, tested before putting it back together, and then tested once it was together too. Everything seems okay so far... so I just have to cross my fingers for now.

We had rebuild how-tos on H-T and the PDF manual for the '98 Civic. So our directions in the manual were for the 6th gen D-series transmissions... but the Z6 was pretty close. It was close enough at least for instruction.

Oh, and not bitching, just letting you know, I'm not a dude (see sig lol).

Last edited: