How many o2 sensors?

XxRiceronixX

Hi I already searched through the forums and cannot find how many o2 sensors are in my car does anyone know? and also where are they located... some people said its where the header is and some people said is where the cat is so idk where it is help please thank you

acclude

cheap bastard
judging by the pic in your avatar, you have a 98-01 model so there will be two. One on the header and one on the cat.

I might be wrong, but I thought the California emissions model had three (one pre-cat and one post-cat) but maybe not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
if you have a non gayed up cali version you have 2. one before cat on the down pipe and one on the rear of the cat. primary controls a/f mixture and the secondary makes sure your cat is working properly.

XxRiceronixX

vtec

I also have another question its about my vtec when I first bought the car the guy didn't know if that years ls had a vtec or not and I researched and found out that my car has an ls/vtec. Once I found that out I wanted to know when the vtec engages and have a feel for this hype that everyone is talking about, but for some reason I really don't feel it kicking in, the "vtec pop". I am the third owner of this car the first owner was a kid probably my age right now and I don't know if he did the right things to make the vtec work, I just wanted to know when is it supposed to engage and how do I know if the person that did the job did it right o and btw here is a pic of the engine bay.....

Last edited:
I also have another question its about my vtec when I first bought the car the guy didn't know if that years ls had a vtec or not and I researched and found out that my car has an ls/vtec. Once I found that out I wanted to know when the vtec engages and have a feel for this hype that everyone is talking about, but for some reason I really don't feel it kicking in, the "vtec pop". I am the third owner of this car the first owner was a kid probably my age right now and I don't know if he did the right things to make the vtec work, I just wanted to know when is it supposed to engage and how do I know if the person that did the job did it right o and btw here is a pic of the engine bay.....
It's not a question of year, LS never came from the factory with Vtec, ever.

Vtec engagement depends on your tune. It can be set at various points depending on where the person writing the tune feels like.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
do u have a check engine light on?

acclude

cheap bastard
You should take the passenger side kickplate off inside the car and find out what ECU you have running that thing.

Also, looke to make sure the solenoid and pressure switch are wired up. The are on the front passenger side of the head right next to where the spark plug wires are. the thing with they cylindrical top is the solenoid and has 1 wire and the switch is next to it and has 2 wires.

XxRiceronixX

no I just had a maintenance light on but I took care of that and besides the guys before me could've just turned it off so idk if there is anything wrong with the car because my dad had a 4runner that was acting up and the lights wouldn't turn off and he also had a check engine light on, so he disconnected the positive battery cable and the next day he reconnected it to go to work and noticed the check engine light turned off so the guy I bought it from could've just did that but idk just going on hopes that nothing will break down, planning to get a new waterpump and timing belt installed..... its way past due right now (107,000 miles).

XxRiceronixX

You should take the passenger side kickplate off inside the car and find out what ECU you have running that thing.

Also, looke to make sure the solenoid and pressure switch are wired up. The are on the front passenger side of the head right next to where the spark plug wires are. the thing with they cylindrical top is the solenoid and has 1 wire and the switch is next to it and has 2 wires.
well does it look like it is based on what you see in the pic?

XxRiceronixX

well here is the ecu it says p72 in the middle and I remember looking somewhere that, that ecu is the stock ls ecu and I need a different ecu. Will this ecu still work with the vtec or am I forced to buy a new ecu for it to work and also is there one somewhere I can buy online?

and I did see a little cylindrical top part you described it is wired and goes through the firewall. I followed it and it goes back to the ecu into a whole entire belt of wires

Last edited:

acclude

cheap bastard
OK, the P72 is the GSR ECU and that will work the VTEC fine. and apparently it is wired (I'm assuming it's wired right cause it's really easy to wire it up).

I'm with Jim on this one...is check engine light on? Does your oil light come on?

If not VTEC *should* be working fine. You have taken it up past 6k RPM's right?

XxRiceronixX

lol I wish I could but it has no plates right now im just running it around my neighborhood just to get the parts going because im going to be gone for a month and I don't want it to be sitting in the garage since ithout it moving around but the highest i've gotten it to was about 5k i thought I read somewhere that he second stage hits at 5.2k never got to it because no road XD but I will try it as soon as I get home from vacation first thing on my list: activate the vtec :p and btw no check engine light or oil light...

lol I wish I could but it has no plates right now im just running it around my neighborhood just to get the parts going because im going to be gone for a month and I don't want it to be sitting in the garage since ithout it moving around but the highest i've gotten it to was about 5k i thought I read somewhere that he second stage hits at 5.2k never got to it because no road XD but I will try it as soon as I get home from vacation first thing on my list: activate the vtec :p and btw no check engine light or oil light...
You don't have a GSR intake manifold, so its not going to have 2 stages. You should feel Vtec engage at 5200 or 5500 I think(whatever the secondary point is on the GSR map). Check the casting on the head, it isnt going to be p72 unless that IM is one of the old style Skunk2 ones that the logo is small on.