how much boost can i push with this?

bphillips

i have a gsr head on an ls block. i am going to upgrade all my ignition; spark plugs, wires, distributor, and put on a blaster pack. as well as i am going to do a full fuel up grade with the pump, filter, injectors, rail, lines and regulator. after all this is done i am going to get lower compression pistons and upgrade my rods that are forged then get a 'piggy back ' tune. then i am going to get my stage three clutch then finally slap on my turbo.... will that be okay? and will that allow me to push thirty pounds of boost if i wanted to? please reply thanks everybody.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
how much boost can i run threads never go well.

Whats your power goal
what kind of turbo are you running

you can run 30lb on a cummins turbo and it wont make much power compared to a t3 with 30psi will haul

Most applications and dyno sheets suggest you need more head work etc to make power on 30psi or take advantage of 30psi on a t3/t4

Prozon

Kris
What kind of turbo are you actually planning on running? That's what makes the difference here. Is a t3 even capable of 30 lol.

A t3/t4 on 7psi can make 230hp, with some 440 injectors, fuel pump, 3" exhaust, log manifold, ect ect ect..

I do not suggest using a piggyback as a tune. Get a real tune. I doubt you can find a system thats set up to run 30psi on any turbo, and chances are your going to damage your motor. I can tell you have done some research, but it almost seems like your a little confused. From my experience it seems like you found a Honda calculator on the internet, and you kept bumping up the PSI until it showed a number you liked. Throwing out numbers like 30psi, well that's just silly. My Dad's semi-truck doesn't even run 30 psi lol. (Granted the turbo isn't exactly something you would put on a Honda.)

Figure out a horsepower goal, and then we can help you figure out how to achieve that goal.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Sure you could push 30 pounds of boost, the question is how long will it take the engine to explode. x2 that for real tuning, don't go with piggy back systems. The more info you can give us the better, what kind of turbo, size, what you plan on tuning with (Hondata, etc. that isn't piggy back preferably).

Prozon

Kris
Seems like the most important bit of information right now. Get a real tune.

And to elaborate on the Honda calculator I was talking about on the first post, I found this thing I was playing with awhile back. I kept screwing with the boost and such to see what HP and 1/4 mile times.. and with 1,000,000 pounds of boost you can run the quarter mile in under a second. Haha. I imagine he was doing something like that, but way less dramatic.

mjones73

What kind of hp goals do you have? Figure that out first then get the parts to support it.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
i have a gsr head on an ls block. i am going to upgrade all my ignition; spark plugs, wires, distributor, and put on a blaster pack. as well as i am going to do a full fuel up grade with the pump, filter, injectors, rail, lines and regulator. after all this is done i am going to get lower compression pistons and upgrade my rods that are forged then get a 'piggy back ' tune. then i am going to get my stage three clutch then finally slap on my turbo.... will that be okay? and will that allow me to push thirty pounds of boost if i wanted to? please reply thanks everybody.
Boost doesnt mean much. Power is what you need to be setting your goals for.

Leave your ignition alone. Ive seen stock ignition 700+whp hondas. Its possible.

Also, stock FPR is ftw. Seems like youre going out of your way to do unecessary modifications to your car that will only cause headaches on the dyno. My suggestion to you, is to gather everything together and do it all at once, and do it right. Get a dyno or street tune and thats that.

What kind of turbo are you actually planning on running? That's what makes the difference here. Is a t3 even capable of 30 lol.
there are plenty of turbochargers capable of making power at over 30lbs of boost

A t3/t4 on 7psi can make 230hp, with some 440 injectors, fuel pump, 3" exhaust, log manifold, ect ect ect..
This is a very vague statement. On a setup like what you listed @ 8lbs of boost on a STC gt3255E I was able to make 300whp. If I were going to run 7lbs I wouldve made far more than 230whp as well, so really this statement of yours is incorrect as it isnt specific enough to determine anything. T3/T04 is simply a housing, and tells you nothing about the characteristics of the turbocharger.

What kind of hp goals do you have? Figure that out first then get the parts to support it.
this ^

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
how much boost can i run threads never go well.

Whats your power goal

you can run 30lb on a cummins turbo and it wont make much power compared to a t3 with 30psi will haul

Most applications and dyno sheets suggest you need more head work etc to make power on 30psi or take advantage of 30psi on a t3/t4
iirc Cummins diesel turbos are Holset, which im pretty sure come in a T3 application

Prozon

Kris
This is a very vague statement. On a setup like what you listed @ 8lbs of boost on a STC gt3255E I was able to make 300whp. If I were going to run 7lbs I wouldve made far more than 230whp as well, so really this statement of yours is incorrect as it isnt specific enough to determine anything. T3/T04 is simply a housing, and tells you nothing about the characteristics of the turbocharger.
It was meant to be a vague statement. I was trying to give an example of a turbo size, so we could take this thread somewhere.
Thanks for being so nice and understanding though when I was just trying to throw out some help. :roll:

iirc Cummins diesel turbos are Holset, which im pretty sure come in a T3 application
Correct sir.

Whats your power goal
Prozon said:
Figure out a horsepower goal, and then we can help you figure out how to achieve that goal..
what kind of turbo, size,
Enough said.

Last edited:

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
It was meant to be a vague statement. I was trying to give an example of a turbo size, so we could take this thread somewhere.
Thanks for being so nice and understanding though when I was just trying to throw out some help. :roll:
I consider my reply polite for how it actually couldve been.

you a hater

i run 5 psi and it makes me happy but its your own opinion ... mines also more or less a daily driver too so i keep mine at a safe level

Piggy back's are garbage.
As stated above, no need to change your ignition. The only ignition set up I can see being a worth while upgrade would be something like the Rywire C.O.P conversion.