How To: change alternator the alternative/easy way

pinkley

b@115D33p
Ive seen a few people posting asking about changing/replacing an alternator. When I was a noob Integra owner I was flustered because no matter which way I tied turning the alternator I couldn't get it out from top or bottom. So I tried this and it worked for me.

I AM NOT A MECHANIC! SO IF YOU MESS SOMETHING UP DON'T COME CRYING TO ME!!!

First thing unbolt the positive side of the battery!!!

Jack up your car

unhook the sensor wires going to the brake fluid reservoir

Then unbolt the 2 12mm bolts that hold the reservoir on

After you get them unbolted the reservoir will pull off but don't loose the rubber gasket on the end of it

It will pull to the side like so...

Now you have this big hole to work the alternator out of.

Now unbolt the power wire on the top the the alternator and the green plug on the side.

After you get it all unplugged you can start unbolting the alternator
Top is a 12mm and bottom is a 17mm

After you get it all unbolted give it a wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle and it will come out.

Then when you put the new one in follow the instructions in reverse.

This is ideal to do if you don't feel like pulling the rim off and pulling the dr side axle out.
Hope this helps some people.

stillhere153

HondEducated
yo my man good post, my alternator literally took a sh!t last night, battery died on my way to work twice lol thank god for stick shift

I will be using this write up this afternoon

pinkley

b@115D33p
dont you have to rebleed your brake system?
Nope! No fluid runs through the actual booster. Just the vacume pressure. After you get it all put back together, start the car and pump the brakes a few times to rebuild pressure in the booster. No fluid drains out at all.

pinkley

b@115D33p
yo my man good post, my alternator literally took a sh!t last night, battery died on my way to work twice lol thank god for stick shift

I will be using this write up this afternoon
That's sucks!
Let me know how it work out for you. When I try to explain how to do this to someone they assume it would be harder to do. I find it easier than pulling the rim and axle off.

stillhere153

HondEducated
so here's what happened to me, my alt seized due to an oil leak on the rear
repaired oil leak and the alt just wasn't charging battery again
after some interesting red lights on my way to work I broke a sweat roll starting
I text one of my boys and sent him to the local yards to pick me up an oem dizzy
$40 later he had one, I chase quick pay'd em $60 (20 for his troubles) and limped my ride home from work
made it all the way home and she died right when I pulled in my street

fyi I took a shortcut, I didn't touch the bmc...
my steps
1. remove 3 point strut bar
2. remove battery (-) terminal
3. remove 10mm off the top of the alt and unplug green plug
4. remove 10mm bracket holding the harness that goes to the shock tower
5. remove 10mm holding power steering hose to valve cover
6. unhook the power steering hose from clamp under the intake manifold
7. remove the 12mm top bolt and move the belt out of the way (inspect the belt for damage, replace as needed)
8. pry the alt all the way back so it is leaning against the side rail
9. remove the 14mm on the bottom of the alt and slide the long bolt out
10. unclip the alt harness on the side of the alt
11. push the power steering house slightly up and towards the intake mani side, and up came the alt
reversed above and done... took me slightly under an hour

Last edited:

pinkley

b@115D33p
:thumbs up
Awesome! I dont have a ps so all my hoses and stuff are gone. I could never get it wiggled out because of the brake lines coming off the reservoir. Glad someone tried it out and critiqued it.