how to change O2 sensor?

mjones73

Get yourself an O2 sensor socket and use it to remove the old and and place in a new one basically. If the threads are seized up they can be a pain to get out though. Soak it down with liquid wrench if you can't get it out. Don't get any on the new sensor and use a slight amount of anti-seize on the threads only.

DWATTS5250

Well she looked 18!....
reactivating someone elses old post....any idea where the plug connects at on the O2 sensor that is in the front of the catalytic converter? Pictures would be helpful. Ive looked in those Haynes and Chiltons manuals....nothing..not a single stinkin picture.

seahtech

This one plugs into main engine harness

This one plugs in under the 'right front side of the center console'

Integra_Kyle

couldnt of said it better myself. except some of them can be a real pain in the ass.

Get yourself an O2 sensor socket and use it to remove the old and and place in a new one basically. If the threads are seized up they can be a pain to get out though. Soak it down with liquid wrench if you can't get it out. Don't get any on the new sensor and use a slight amount of anti-seize on the threads only.

suzuki714

make shure you are using the copper anti-seize for hi temp things like exaust. just anti-seize on exaust parts is the wrong stuff its like taking your teg mudding its not what it was designed for.

seahtech

You dont ALWAYS need an o2 sensor socket although they are great to use, snap-on ftw!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put a little anti-seize on before reinstalling. especially if u live in the midwest/east coast where road salt is used heavily

MugenRR: Those pics are from Acura's "IN" website. I work for Honda and am privy to those which is soooo nice. Let me know if you ever need component locations/pics

stallion

I just changed mine this morning on my '94 integra rs which only has one o2 sensor located just upstream of the catalytic converter on the downpipe. It is a b**** to do if you don't have a jack, stands or an o2 sensor socket but still doable and a good money saving diy since you don't gotta pay for a jack, labor or socket and even better if you get a great part at a nice price (I got a solid Standard o2 sensor new in the box on ebay for like $17.99 w/ free shipping AND even better is the seller brushed on some copper anti-seize to the threads so saved me there, too, from having to buy a bottle of that s*** just to do the o2 sensor. I had to put the driver side tire up on the curb to get under the car (poor man style, but hey I can change oil and manual transmission fluid that way, too, as well as some other things without having to buy a jack, stands or take it in). '90-'95 integras only have ONE o2 sensor which is just upstream of the catalytic converter on the downpipe. There is not one downstream. In the 90-93 it is located in front of the header, and in 96-01 there is one upstream and one downstream of the catalytic converter. I opened the hood, got under the car and used an 8" adjustable wrench, got a good bite on the bolt after spraying some wd40 on it, angled my body to get the most torgue I could without having a lot of room under there to work w/, but I was able to break the bolt. I was stoked b/c I didn't have to pay labor or buy a o2 sensor socket wrench. My car was having a slight fuel smell when driving, and I'm convinced it was the o2 sensor since that thing was the stock sensor (18 years old). I also changed the fuel pump and strainer, fuel filter, fuel rail, changed the o-ring on the back of the fuel pressure regulator, manually cleaned the injectors and added new fuel injector seals and o-rings all last week before I did the o2 sensor today. All of these parts I got new off of ebay or used off of craigslist from someone parting their integra (fuel rail). I did the o2 sensor b/c even though I did the other things, I was still having a fuel smell so hopefully it is gone now. Probably good to do since the damn sensor looked fried when I took it out since it was 18 years old.

Last edited: