How to change water pump?

735e32

Im MEL.
I get the general idea of what to do, but if anyone has done this before, would you mind doing a step by step on what to do for me. It would greatly be appreciated:beer:

Prozon

Kris
Remove Valve Cover
Remove Timing Cover Top
Remove Timing Cover Bottom
(You may have to put a jack under engine and unbolt the engine mount.)
Remove crankshaft pulley / drive belts.
Remove timing belt.
Unbolt Water Pump.
Clean up surface.
Put new water pump on.
Line up cam gears/crank gear with timing marks.
Install new timing belt.
Install crankshaft pulley / drive belts.
Install engine mount.
Install timing cover.
Install valve cover.

Or something along those lines. :D

Dtackett

Do i have to take off the power steering?
If its in the way yes, take it off and plug the lines to prevent any dirt build up, but you shouldnt have to, you will want to take off tire, and once you loosen your engine mount lift the engine slowly as you pull out the mount. It can be a pain in the ass.

Prozon

Kris
I would remove it. I think it could be done with it on, but it's easiest to remove it, it's only two bolts and the tensioner bolt.

The tire and possibly fender well should also go, I didn't think to mention it because my fenderwell is missing lol.

Prozon

Kris
The engine mount COULD stay if you were not swapping the belt, but if it hasnt been done really recently, the timing belt needs to be replaced too.

WDEDMON1

So after you break the mount...do u drop the engine down or jack it up? wont this effect the other mounts? Also Is there a sealant for the water pump? Also do I need a torque wrench? If some

mirrorimg

So after you break the mount...do u drop the engine down or jack it up? wont this effect the other mounts? Also Is there a sealant for the water pump? Also do I need a torque wrench? If some
It only needs to be moved enough to slip the belt around it.

WDEDMON1

oh ok. Its pretty tight in there. How long is this thing gonna take? Prolly a whole day if im doin it my myself huh(and ive never done it b4)

Prozon

Kris
Give yourself plenty of time to get it done. I could have it done in a couple hours or less, but I've done it multiple times. (Time could be faster, but I work slow and are lazy. :D )

WDEDMON1

Another question. After reviewing the manual, it looks like that back timing cover might get in the way. Do I have to remove the cam gears to get this thing(water pump) off?