How to clutchless shift

mirrorimg

My old CRX could pop out of every gear without the clutch on command, though that wasnt because of proper rev-matching.

I sometimes play around with this when coming up to a stop, as the RPMs drop I slide it into neutral. Its certainly not worth trying to get it into gear unless you have to. My gears are bad enough as it is, they certainly dont like that.

poordc2

you could do what the old school street racer used to do....i think it is call dog shifting or doggy shifting...i dont remember....what they do is pull there tranny out and take it apart and on the each gear they would grind every other tooth and then put everything back together and then you would just shift without the clutch but you would have to be pretty hardcore to drive it daily.......my old 240sx s13 had a nisno tranny that i was talking about and i was going to buy a sequential shifter for it too but dam i didn't like how it felt at all....to ruff but my car got stolen before i could take out the tranny....

NebulousGSR

I think there needs to be a write up on this site pertaining to slave master cylinders and clutch master cylinders "crapping out." I have had 2 friends within the past month have problems with their clutch. They both went to the mechanic and they were both told that they needed to have their entire clutch repaired... Due to the fact that I had just gone through a months worth of researching (I'm in college/ I have no time, sadly) what was wrong with my clutch to find out that I only had a slave master cylinder KIA, I was able to tell them what was wrong with their car/how to fix it. If anyone could do a write up about knowing the difference between a bad clutch and a dead CMC/SMC and how to fix the cylinders, I think that a lot of people on this site would benefit from it.

poordc2

I think there needs to be a write up on this site pertaining to slave master cylinders and clutch master cylinders "crapping out." I have had 2 friends within the past month have problems with their clutch. They both went to the mechanic and they were both told that they needed to have their entire clutch repaired... Due to the fact that I had just gone through a months worth of researching (I'm in college/ I have no time, sadly) what was wrong with my clutch to find out that I only had a slave master cylinder KIA, I was able to tell them what was wrong with their car/how to fix it. If anyone could do a write up about knowing the difference between a bad clutch and a dead CMC/SMC and how to fix the cylinders, I think that a lot of people on this site would benefit from it.
to notice if the clutch is going out or not.....when you shift the clutch would take a long time to engage and that would make the rpm kick up higher because you have your foot on the gas while your in gear and in a second when the clutch finally grabs on, your car will drive like normal...
the Clutch master cylinder and clutch salve should be replace at the same time because they pretty much have the same life span....and when they are going bad the pedal would feel like it is not come back up all the way and it would not feel smooth or have a strong feel to it.....
A broken clutch can make your car drive like normal until you shift in higher rpm and it gets harder to shift or wont even go into gears at all because something on the clutch is not letting the pressure plate engage all the way so that you can shift into gears....hope this helps

Kinta94

shifting without a clutch is pretty easy but make sure you know what your doing before you actually try it. I've shown people that I can do it without and issue I learned because my slave cylinder was messed up for a while on my old car. but when others try it they just grind their gears which is a no no

hgocasca

level 77 troll
this is such an easy task, i had a 92 civic hatch that i did it on daily on my drive to work, i've tried it on my da a few times and its a little more difficult, when i did it on the eg, i had no rhyme or reason for doing it, just got bored on the way to work, and ever since, i just did it everyday, every shift, only time i used the clutch was during take-off, this was on a 25 mile trip each way to and from work, 6-7 days a week, for reference for colorado people, from southlands mall(5 miles from my house) to castle rock outlets. i got good at it, but really its just a fun way to kill a transmission, not worth it at all!!! glad i sold it, some kid gave me $1200, and now i can clutchless shift, smooth as butter :)

altered_images

i did it everytime down the track in my old shop car at 9500 rpm.... it prob helped that it was a k20 powered civic hatch with a go power 4spd dog box.. the diff in a dog box and a normal trany that makes it possible is the dog box has straight cut gears and no sincros... it was very loud it had the high pich whine soound like in reverse but in every gear but man that thing was great im looking into getting another one for my gsr now

poordc2

i did it everytime down the track in my old shop car at 9500 rpm.... it prob helped that it was a k20 powered civic hatch with a go power 4spd dog box.. the diff in a dog box and a normal trany that makes it possible is the dog box has straight cut gears and no sincros... it was very loud it had the high pich whine soound like in reverse but in every gear but man that thing was great im looking into getting another one for my gsr now

how is the feel of the shift...is it pretty ruff or smooth cause my s13 was pretty ruff and not good for daily driving at all

NEEK94LS

Theres a certain rpm you can do it at, but its really not worth it
X2, after reaching a certain RPM you will be able to do it, but its no reason you need to do it. For the most part your car has a clutch for a reason, on the street is a completely useless technique, and if your going to the track, just power shift.

altered_images

how is the feel of the shift...is it pretty ruff or smooth cause my s13 was pretty ruff and not good for daily driving at all
when i did drive it on the street it was kinda ruff if i didnt use the clutch at low rpms but over 8k it was fine no grinds blips or pop outs nice and smoth like warm butter

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Haha my wife can shift without a clutch. Me and my dad tought her how to do it, she could shift without a clutch better then she could with one at age 17 when we was teaching her how to drive a manual. My dad is better at it than I am, he can downshift without the use of a clutch while I can only do it while going from say 2nd to 3rd. Rev before sliding switching gears, makes it alot easier to do. The reason you can do it, is because they are synchronized transmissions

Last edited:

da9 b20 beast

my dad knows how to do it flawlessly to haha i tripped the hell out the first time i saw him do it ..... i wouldnt try it yet tho ha

racerguy06

i can do it upshifting and downshifting
always watched my dad do it and i just tried it one day
upshifting is easy downshifting is harder you have to rev match the engine and tranny and slide it in gear at just the right time