How to drain gas tank

kory_k

I'm doing the head gasket on my car and its been sitting for almost a year and i just wanted to know the best way to drain the tank. Any help apprecieated. Thanks

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
what does head gasket have in relation to a gas tank. lol j/k DRILL A HOLE!!! no but anyway yeah there is a bolt that plugs it in the back. too bad all cars didnt' ahve this. Someone pissed in my cavalier tank like 8 times... such a mofo

Andrew93

Currently Building
what does head gasket have in relation to a gas tank. lol j/k DRILL A HOLE!!! no but anyway yeah there is a bolt that plugs it in the back. too bad all cars didnt' ahve this. Someone pissed in my cavalier tank like 8 times... such a mofo
lmao....shitty, oil pan is same way....easy to change it out too

Dtackett

ok anyone got a pic of where the bolt is or a better description of where it is lol or is it one of those things that its just impossible to miss

Prozon

Kris
It's really easy to spot the bolt.. 17mm.

It's just on the rear most drivers side corner of the gas tank.

And Kory_K, i'm currently updating my how to on head gasket changing. If you need any help PM me!
vhttp://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=69825

Last edited:

Dtackett

prozon whats the easiest way to get to it and is it there on all 2nd gen? im sure it is but ive only got about 30 min to drain the gas tomorrow morning so im not sure how well this is gonna work lol

btw prozon im using your quote on another forum, its becoming famous lol not the redneck macgyver one the one below it lol

Prozon

Kris
prozon whats the easiest way to get to it and is it there on all 2nd gen? im sure it is but ive only got about 30 min to drain the gas tomorrow morning so im not sure how well this is gonna work lol

btw prozon im using your quote on another forum, its becoming famous lol not the redneck macgyver one the one below it lol
Mine is a second gen. I just took that picture, specifically for you lol. Just grab a 17mm wrench and something to grab the gas. Maybe jack up the back of the car to give you more room. It's fairly simple to get to, I didn't even know it was there until I was reading my Factory Service Manual. No longer do thieves have to siphon your gas, they can just unbolt the plug. -_-

I should JB weld that s***. Haha.

And use away. Spread the word. Capitalization and punctuation are important lol.

Dtackett

awe i feel so special thank you!! lol im trying to figure out what i can use here to drain the gas into i dont really have any short 13 gallon pans around the house lol this is gonna suck, im gonna smell like gas at work lol

Prozon

Kris
I took a five gallon bucket, and cut the top off so it was shorter. When it was almost full I reinserted the plug and used a funnel to drain the gas into a normal gas can. Repeated until it was empty. :thumbs up

wooker_nok

shoot it with a small caliber gun....lol jk not twice ull blow up only once....

there a 17mm nut on it remove it and it will drain

The_Anima7or

The Rook
this is great lol i was just informed by Dtackett to drain my gas tank. anybody know of a way to get the old gas out of the lines? sorry, im sort of a n00b when it comes to getting gas out of fuel lines. should i drain the gas tank before i change the fuel filter?

Prozon

Kris
If the car has been sitting, pull the plug to drain the tank, then unhook the fuel line at the filter and put it in a bucket. Simply turn the key on and the fuel will flow out.