How to: Fix exhaust rattle easily

Da90Teg

Hey everyone, I know This topic has been questioned alot and I know there are varios answers that are spread throughout a bunch of different threads.

I struggled with an exhaust rattle for a while now and just recently found a fix.

So here's my story/exhaust set up first, then Ill get into the fix. Feel free to skip this part if you want. My cars exhaust is done pretty bad, a hack job from the previous owner. It basically goes from the header, WELDED to a flex pipe, WELDED to a straight pipe, WELDED to the muffler. Thats it. So there was no way for me to take it apart without actually cutting it open and struggling to re-weld it, or pay someone to do it.

Now that you know my setup, here is the fix I did and some other tips that Ive found.

Tips:
- Remove the heat sheild underneath you shifter. Mine hasn't had one since the day I bought the car and Ive had no problems. This is a common cause of rattleing.
- Check to see if your header heat sheild is loose/rusted. Possibly try removing it for a short period of time and see if its fixed (Ive heard you can run without it but Ive also heard you can crack the paint on your hood)
- Make sure your exhaust hangers are proper length, Look to see if your exhaust hangs to low or to high to the underside of the car.
- Check all other heat sheilds
- Check if your cat or muffler rattle around without the engine on by shaking them to see if they are shot

Fix I used:

Now this will have ghetto pictures drawn in paint or ones I found online because its cold in Canada and I dont really want to go outside :p (Could take pictures if ghetto ones are to confusing)

Basically the reason my exhaust rattled is because there is a pipe within a pipe after the header goes down to 1 pipe. Originally there was insulation that prevented it rattling but over time it gets burnt up or worn out.

Pipe when new. Red = Insulation

Pipe after 20+ years.

The way I fixed this was to drill through both pipes and put a tek screw into it to hold the inside pipe from rattling. Any screw should do though.

Tek screw

Approximate location of the screw. except accessable from underside of car.

And then thats it!

Mine doesnt leak, and if it would devolope a leak you could use any exhaust patch system or just weld around it.

I hope this helps a few people because it drove me NUTS! If you have any questions just comment or PM me.